I should add that I am also looking into using OSSEC.
-mi
Greetings;
I would like to know if anyone has used Knoppix to mount several filesystems (nfs, CIFS, etc) and perform a file/filesystem integrity check?
I am looking for a way to monitor mostly windows files and shares for changes to their attributes.
I would also like to detect new files/directories added, as well as see what was renamed, deleted, copied and/or moved.
I realize this is alot to achieve, but in looking around at the different types of open source projects, Knoppix seems like the most suitable for this task; and Linux a suitable OS for the job.
Thanks all in advance,
-mi
I should add that I am also looking into using OSSEC.
-mi
Hi, I mount NTFS, ext3, ext4 and Fat32 and r/w to/from routinely since I run off a thumbdrive and use the drives on my computers for storage of stuff I don't want encrypted.
I mount the drives with a simple script, executed from a .desktop file on my menu, that is just pmount commands:
pmount sdc1
pmount sda4
pmount sda8
pmount sda12
pmount sr0
I am running my computers a bare minimum of 2 hours a day, usually 4 or more, and accessing the various hard dtive partitions constantly. The only time I actually boot the OS's on my computers is when I am editing Video or Sound. Graphics I'll edit on Knoppix.
Keeping up to date on the fsprogs deb packages for the systems you are mounting is probably a good idea. I even have hfsprogs.deb installed in case I try to run Knoppix on a Macintosh someday.
Regarding integrety, I've been doing this for 3 years with the same two 16G thumdrives across 3 laptops. I am more amazed the thumbdrives still seem problem free.
There is a reboot-with-fsck-check item on my obmenu
sudo shutdown -rF now
I think I have used it on the thumdrives once or twice if memory serves. The various hard drives, about 32 partitions with varying systems, are all fine.
No idea what OSSEC is.
Google can help you.No idea what OSSEC is
http://www.ossec.net/

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB, (4) HDD, EXCELLENT COND.
$625.00
Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50