Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Time zone change cannot be made permanent

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152

    Time zone change cannot be made permanent

    I am in Knoppix 7.4 DVD on a USB key with a persistent oerlay of 4GB. I have lang=en (easy). I also have keyboard=fr, but only thanks to the Key Layout Handler (it seems impossible otherwise to make it permanent). Now, I also need tz=Europe/Paris. The cheatcode at boot is not memorized and is lost. On reboot, I am back to America/New_York. Also tz=Europe/Paris is given as UTC instead of UTC+2.The BIOS of my computer displays UTC and NTP for Windows changes that to UTC+2 for my Windows 7. NTP is installed in Knoppix 7.4 but I am not sure if it is running. Help please.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Sorry, I have to delete completely my posting from yesterday. I havn't found a solution for this problem.

    If I use the cheatcode "knoppix tz=Europe/Paris", then Knoppix accept it. You can verify this with
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    The function "Set timezone" of the script '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig' works correct as you can see in '/etc/timezone' and the right file of '/usr/share/zoneinfo' is copied to '/etc/localtime'.

    But with
    Code:
    cat /proc/driver/rtc; date
    you'll see Linux doesn't care about '/etc/localtime.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 08-10-2014 at 11:13 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Thanks Werner. I am using LXDE and knoppix32 on a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate in 64-bit. The cheatcode : "knoppix32 tz=Europe/Paris" at boot retruns an error saying that kernel image knoppix32 is not found. Likewise the cheatcode "knoppix32" proposed in the list of cheatcodes. There is no syslnx.cfg file. I entered "tz=Europe/Paris" in syslnx32.cfg and syslnx64.cfg for both LABEL knoppix and LABEL knoppix64. The time zone shown is still "America/New_York" and the time is UTC. NTP says it queried "ntp.univ-angers.fr". Hope this "bug" (?) can be solved. There was no such problem with version 7.2.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Now I've found the error. Settings of timezone within Knoppix V7.4.0 doesn't work if in '/etc/adjtime' is the entry "LOCAL" instead of "UTC" (as in old Knoppix versions). Change this value, reboot and now Knoppix uses the value of '/etc/timezone'. You can also check it with
    Code:
    timedatectl status

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    In /etc/adjtime, I typed UTC to replace LOCAL as you suggested. I left unchanged the entries "tz=Europe/Paris" made earlier in syslnx32.cfg and syslnx64.cfg. Rebooted and I am still in America/New_York. "timedatectl" reports as "local time" the current time in New York and UTC is correct. The cheatcode at boot: "knoppix tz=Europe/Paris" would give the correct time zone and time, but is not memorized. Some other setting(s) must be at fault. "America/New_York" wants to be the default time zone and refuses to be modified.
    Last edited by philo; 08-10-2014 at 07:28 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    A post in a Knoppix Forum (Hdd Install/Debian/Apt) dated 31 Jan 2007 by onemyndseye and eentitled "[FIX] KNOPPIX not showing correct language / Timezone fix" porposed: (1) adding a few lines in the "localize" header of /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, and (2) creating a file "timezone" in /etc/sysconfig. I tried that. Reboted and it works. Is it good enough? http://knoppix.net/forum/showthread....l=1#post109153

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    There is no syslnx.cfg file.
    The name of 3rd file is syslinux.cfg! Insert in this file your "tz" setting too.

    It is dangerous to change somethings within '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig' - especially following a 7 years old posting. I hope you have a copy of the origin of this file.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    I had Knoppix 7.4 installed by Universal-USB-Installer (UI) and UI places its own syslinux.cfg out of sight in a sub-folder.
    Anyway, I did a fresh install with K's own Flash Install and created a new persistent img.
    With the cheatcodes for keyboard=fr and tz=Europe/Paris in the thrre ". cfg" files concerned, AND the change in "/etc/adjtime", I now have everything working correctly (no need for Keyboard Layout Handler).
    No doubt, other Knoppix users suffered from similar hiccups.
    Thanks again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98