Please use the instructions you'll find at Hard drive installation.
I'm installing Knoppix on an 8GB Compact Flash card, but I see 'No boot device available'. Tips on what I'm missing?
I used the following procedure to transfer Knoppix to the CF card:
[I produced this procedure by reading https://www.inductiveautomation.com/..._card_143.doc]
(1) Booted laptop from a Knoppix 6.7.0 CD
(2) Used Gparted to create a single ext2 partition
(3) cp -r /mnt-system/boot /media/sdb1
(4) cd /media/sdb1/boot
(5) mv isolinux extlinux
(6) mv isolinux.cfg extlinux.conf
(7) chmod +w extlinux.conf
(vi extlinux.conf
[ add the following to every APPEND line: nodma fromhd noprompt noeject ]
(9) cp -r /mnt-system/KNOPPIX /media/sdb1
(10) Download syslinux-3.86.zip, uncompress in /home/knoppix
(11) cd /home/knoppix/syslinux-3.86/mbr
(12) cat mbr.bin > /dev/sdb
(13) cd ../extlinux
(14) ./extlinux -i /media/sdb1/boot/extlinux
/media/sdb1/boot/extlinux is device /dev/sdb1
root@Microknoppix:/media/sdb1/boot/extlinux# ls
balder.img extlinux.conf f3 isolinux.bin logo.16 minirt.gz
boot.cat extlinux.sys german.kbd linux memdisk
boot.msg f2 grub.exe linux64 memtest
root@Microknoppix:/media/sdb# ls
. ..
I remove the CF card from the laptop, insert into the Alix board, power on, and see this text:
PC Engines ALIX.2 v0.99m
640 KB Base Memory
261120 KB Extended Memory
01F0 Master 848A CF CARD
Phys C/H/S 15490/16/63 Log C/H/S 971/255/63 LBA
Missing operating system.
No boot device available, press Enter to continue.
What does this message mean? Have I fumbled the MBR procedure?
--sk
Stuart Kendrick
Please use the instructions you'll find at Hard drive installation.
Thank you, that works.

Vintage 1970s UV EPROM Lot Intel D2716 2708 TI TMS2708 AMD NEC Ceramic Windowed
$55.99
Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov
$275.00
Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99
Vintage Retro Beige AT Desktop Computer Sleeper Case
$99.99
Vintage Computer Computer Memory EX32 EDO - KCP601 - Gold Silver
$30.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Intel C2708 EPROM White Ceramic Gold Pins Windowed Die Visible INTEL '75
$44.99
Vintage Twinhead CT-6040S monochrome graphics card 8 bit ISA
$25.00
Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used
$47.99
Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99