-
Senior Member
registered user
Can't tweak Knoppix 7.4 LiveUSB system files in /etc/
.
Greetings, All.
With earlier Knoppix 6s and 7s, I became accustomed to making
small changes to certain system files to achieve some modest LiveUSB
'improvements'. For some reason, I seem to be locked out of the
ability to just go in and modify these files as I used to do.
Two specific files that are resisting my efforts are:
/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart (I want to add iceweasel), and
/etc/syslog-knoppix.conf (I want to add /var/log/syslog)
What has changed that I should know about? TIA.
-
Using: '/.config/.../autostart' does not work?
Last edited by philo; 08-18-2014 at 10:39 AM.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
philo
Using: '/.config/.../autostart' does not work?
Greetings, philo.
Adding @iceweasel to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart doesn't work as it did previously.
/.config/.../autostart is a directory, I'll need some instructions or at least a filename to work with that.
Thanks for the hint.
-
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
philo
Greetings, again philo.
I hadn't seen this before, but I think Werner is right here, as usual.
Without a specific page target the results are a little erratic on just what the browser will display;
often, but not always with its own 'oops' message.
I had almost come to Werner's conclusion on my own.
Thanks again for your help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
This may be crude, but it works. Thanks, philo.
# startup.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Startup
Exec="iceweasel"
Icon=
Type=Application
(Adapted from an old Klaus2008 posting)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Status report on my Knoppix 7.4 complaints:
.
1. I have tamed Compiz to my satisfaction for now.
2. Given that, my Post #4 here now adequately fills my autostart needs.
3. I haven't a clue on how to get syslog back, and Werner's
old syslog solution doesn't work any more, either.
-
I haven't a clue on how to get syslog back, ..
Code:
su
mv /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf_orig
aptitude install anacron
ln -s /usr/sbin/rsyslogd /sbin/syslogd
reboot
Greetings Werner
-
Senior Member
registered user
Greetings, Werner, and thanks.
Using Knoppix 7.2 and previous versions of Knoppix, I created a
few useful utility functions to time (or count) things relative to time at boot
using syslog. Each syslog line entry begins with a character group
formatted similar to a date function response formatted in
hours, minutes and seconds since the time syslog started at boot.
For examples:
Code:
# Parts of my ~/.bashrc in Knoppix 7.2:
alias 'Syslog=less /var/log/syslog' # requires syslog
at.Start(){ # echo time at Start (requires Syslog)
echo -e "at Start: \c"; Syslog | grep restart | awk '{ print $3 }'
}
Boot.Time(){ # Seconds to browser on-line (requires Syslog)
echo -e "Online at: \c"; Syslog | grep avahi | awk '{ print $3 }'
at.Start
}
Disconnects() { # Wifi disconnects since boot (requires Syslog)
echo -e "Time now: \c"; date | awk '{ print $4 }'
at.Start
echo -e "Wifi disconnects: \c"; Syslog | grep -c disconnecting
}
What does a typical anacron or cron print-out (or line of output) look like?
Can you give us a Screenshot?
Last edited by utu; 08-19-2014 at 02:48 PM.
-
'/usr/sbin/rsyslogd' succeeds '/sbin/syslogd'. But '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig' still uses '/sbin/syslogd'; therefore I suggest the use of a symlink. Perhaps in a new Knoppix version this will no longer work.
I think your bashrc will work as until now.
Cron or anacron have no print-out. With cron you can define jobs and their execution time to logrotate the output of the logfiles; this will prevent an overflow of '/var/log'. If you doesn't have a server which will run all over the time, you need anacron. It will make up these cron jobs, which could not be carried out because the computer has been shut off at the defined execution time.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM Server Memory (HMA84GR7MFR4N-TF) - Preowned
$149.00

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Samsung 64GB PC4-2666V-R 2S2Rx4 DDR4 ECC REG RDIMM - M393A8K40B22-CWD6Y
$270.00

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module
$150.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98