Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Can't tweak Knoppix 7.4 LiveUSB system files in /etc/

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Can't tweak Knoppix 7.4 LiveUSB system files in /etc/

    .
    Greetings, All.

    With earlier Knoppix 6s and 7s, I became accustomed to making
    small changes to certain system files to achieve some modest LiveUSB
    'improvements'. For some reason, I seem to be locked out of the
    ability to just go in and modify these files as I used to do.

    Two specific files that are resisting my efforts are:
    /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart (I want to add iceweasel), and
    /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf (I want to add /var/log/syslog)

    What has changed that I should know about? TIA.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Using: '/.config/.../autostart' does not work?
    Last edited by philo; 08-18-2014 at 10:39 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Using: '/.config/.../autostart' does not work?
    Greetings, philo.

    Adding @iceweasel to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart doesn't work as it did previously.
    /.config/.../autostart is a directory, I'll need some instructions or at least a filename to work with that.
    Thanks for the hint.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    This may be crude, but it works. Thanks, philo.

    # startup.desktop
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Startup
    Exec="iceweasel"
    Icon=
    Type=Application

    (Adapted from an old Klaus2008 posting)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Did you see this posting by Werner in August 2013:

    http://knoppix.net/forum/showthread....l=1#post129773

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Did you see this posting by Werner in August 2013:

    http://knoppix.net/forum/showthread....l=1#post129773
    Greetings, again philo.

    I hadn't seen this before, but I think Werner is right here, as usual.
    Without a specific page target the results are a little erratic on just what the browser will display;
    often, but not always with its own 'oops' message.

    I had almost come to Werner's conclusion on my own.

    Thanks again for your help.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Status report on my Knoppix 7.4 complaints:

    .
    1. I have tamed Compiz to my satisfaction for now.
    2. Given that, my Post #4 here now adequately fills my autostart needs.
    3. I haven't a clue on how to get syslog back, and Werner's
    old syslog solution doesn't work any more, either.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I haven't a clue on how to get syslog back, ..
    Code:
    su
    mv /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf_orig
    aptitude install anacron
    ln -s /usr/sbin/rsyslogd /sbin/syslogd
    reboot
    Greetings Werner

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Werner, and thanks.

    Using Knoppix 7.2 and previous versions of Knoppix, I created a
    few useful utility functions to time (or count) things relative to time at boot
    using syslog. Each syslog line entry begins with a character group
    formatted similar to a date function response formatted in
    hours, minutes and seconds since the time syslog started at boot.
    For examples:
    Code:
    # Parts of my ~/.bashrc in Knoppix 7.2:
    
    alias 'Syslog=less /var/log/syslog'      # requires syslog
    
    at.Start(){ # echo time at Start (requires Syslog)
    echo -e "at Start:   \c"; Syslog | grep restart | awk '{ print $3 }'
    }
    
    Boot.Time(){ # Seconds to browser on-line (requires Syslog)
    echo -e "Online at:  \c"; Syslog | grep avahi   | awk '{ print $3 }' 
    at.Start
    }
    
    Disconnects() { # Wifi disconnects since boot (requires Syslog)
    echo -e "Time now:   \c"; date | awk '{ print $4 }' 
    at.Start
    echo -e "Wifi disconnects:  \c"; Syslog | grep -c disconnecting
    }
    What does a typical anacron or cron print-out (or line of output) look like?
    Can you give us a Screenshot?
    Last edited by utu; 08-19-2014 at 02:48 PM.

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    '/usr/sbin/rsyslogd' succeeds '/sbin/syslogd'. But '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig' still uses '/sbin/syslogd'; therefore I suggest the use of a symlink. Perhaps in a new Knoppix version this will no longer work.

    I think your bashrc will work as until now.

    Cron or anacron have no print-out. With cron you can define jobs and their execution time to logrotate the output of the logfiles; this will prevent an overflow of '/var/log'. If you doesn't have a server which will run all over the time, you need anacron. It will make up these cron jobs, which could not be carried out because the computer has been shut off at the defined execution time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99