-
Remastering without a GUI.
I'm currently running a highly customized harddrive install of Adriane Knoppix 7.2, and I've downloaded the 7.4 DVD in hopes of remastering it to better fit my needs. Seeing as how every I use my computer for than isn't Iceweasel is done from the terminal, i am no stranger to the command line, and most gui tools are beyond my reach. My two main questions are: 1. How can I alter the ISO to boot in Adriane mode by default? I'd normally just download the Adriane CD, but that hasn't been released, and using cheat codes at boot time isn't doable with my poor vision. 2. Working entirely from the command line, how would I go about remastering Knoppix to cut out all of the stuff I don't want or need while still maintaining an iso/optical disk that can e used for hard drive installs? This is mainly to speed things up when my tinkering or a bad software upgrade breaks something and forces me to do a clean install to get a usable system again.
-
Hello Jefferey,
these days K Knopper is working on a new version of Knoppix (V7.4.1) and I hope he will also offer an Adriane CD then. I suggest to wait still one or two weeks.
-
Since 7.4.1 is out and still no sign of an official Adriane CD, I decided to try a micro remaster. Downloading, mounting, and copying the contents of the 7.2.0 CDs for both normal and adriane knoppix and using fdupes to get rid for files that are the same in both images, I determined that /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg seems to be where hard coded cheat codes are located. Comparing the normal and adriane versions of this file in 7.2.0, I attempted to make the appropriate changes to the 7.4.1 version of the file. I mount the 741 iso, copied its contents to my hardrive, used chmod 777 to get write access, and then changed the default auto line at the top of /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg to default adriane. After making that alteration, I rebuilt the iso with genisoimage and burned it to DVD using wodim. Unfortunately, when I attempt to boot the newly burned disc, my netbook gives me a invalid boot media error. Any ideas what I did wrong? d
-
It's a hard job to build a new minimal version of Knoppix. Have also a look at the survey of K. Knopper.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99