-
As a blind User who has been running Adriane as his primary OS since 7.0.5 without the luxury of a sighted person to help set things up, here are some tips I can give: In text-mode, caps lock + navigation keys are by far the most important keyboard shortcuts. Up and down arrow will read on-screen text line-by-line, left and right arrows for character-by-character, and PageUp/Down to read from top of screen to cursor position or from cursor position to end of screen. Last I checked, these were listed in the Adriane Help(item 0 on the main Adriane menu), but I haven't needed to access that screen in nearly two years. As 0WN(the text-mode installer used to put Adriane onto a harddrive) has very little text that is accessible without these shortcuts, they are quite important if you don't have the process memorized. Orca(the graphical mode screen reader used by Adriane) is broken in 7.2. The only solution I've found to be reliable is to add Debian oldstable to your sources.list and downgrade Orca to version 2.4 atspi and python-pyatspi to version 1.3 and Adrian-x to version 1.4. If you don't mind the extra bloat included on the DVD, rebuilding 7.4.2 to boot into Adriane mode by default is fairly simple, and has a version of Orca that works out of the box(but don't trying upgrading Orca as that has thus far lead to breakage everytime I've attempted it). To make the DVD boot into Adriane mode, you just need to change one line of text in a single file. If I remember correctly, the file is /isolinux/boot/isolinux.cfg and the line that needs changin is default auto to default adriane near the top of the file. I had to mount the iso, copy it's contents, chmod the file to make it writeable and rebuild the image with genisoimage, but if you know a method for editing isos directly, it should be even simpler. As for the web browser issue, Ifhave found Firefox(rebranded to Iceweasel in Adriane) with Orca infinitely more usable than Lynx with SBL, through I have noticed some screwy things with newer versions of Firefox and currently run Firefox 24 instead of something newer. Hope this helps.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8
$170.99

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim
$125.00

Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box
$100.00

Lot 14 Vintage ISA VGA Video Cards Trident CHIPS UMC 8-Bit 16-Bit 286 386 486
$199.95

Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks
$220.00

Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994
$119.99

Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM
$129.00