Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Knoppix saves my company money!

  1. #1
    Stonent
    Guest

    Knoppix saves my company money!

    Because of the simplicity of it and the netboot option, we are able to use Knoppix to clone computers without having to purchase a Norton Ghost license for each system. Here is how I use Knoppix on a daily basis.

    We have several computers that are configured identically for the product that we sell. So I start one "set" up. One acts as the knoppix boot server and the others net boot off of it. Then I connect a long ethernet cable to a "fresh" set that has not had the OS or our special software loaded yet and net boot them off of the knoppix server.

    Then one by one I execute a command like this to clone them.
    On the machine I want to copy from:
    1. Open 2 root windows
    2. start xload on one of them
    3. cat /dev/hda | gzip -9 | nc -l -p 5030

    On the machine I copy to:

    1. nc 192.168.0.1 5030 | gunzip > /dev/hda (192.168.0.1 is the ip of whatever machine I am cloning)

    When the xload drops down to zero, then I know it is done. I can typically start about 2 or 3 clients to copy them.

    For Windows 9x systems. I do a format c: /s from dos and then untar a tarred backup that I made using knoppix.

    Since Knoppix auto configures the hardware, I don't have to mess with making boot floppies or keeping track of them.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Very cool!

  3. #3
    tiddler
    Guest
    Does this just work with fat32 partitions? Or would this work with any winXP or win2K? NTFS

    I think it would, but I just want to check...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --If you're doing a low-level data dump (dd) - it should work with ANYTHING. But with NTFS you never know. Try it on a spare HD and post results...

    Quote Originally Posted by tiddler
    Does this just work with fat32 partitions? Or would this work with any winXP or win2K? NTFS

    I think it would, but I just want to check...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Knoppix saves my company money!

    --That is WayCool. I love hearing about stuff like this... netcat is way more advanced than stuff I would normally attempt. I prolly would have used tar or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonent
    Because of the simplicity of it and the netboot option, we are able to use Knoppix to clone computers without having to purchase a Norton Ghost license for each system. Here is how I use Knoppix on a daily basis.

    We have several computers that are configured identically for the product that we sell. So I start one "set" up. One acts as the knoppix boot server and the others net boot off of it. Then I connect a long ethernet cable to a "fresh" set that has not had the OS or our special software loaded yet and net boot them off of the knoppix server.

    Then one by one I execute a command like this to clone them.
    On the machine I want to copy from:
    1. Open 2 root windows
    2. start xload on one of them
    3. cat /dev/hda | gzip -9 | nc -l -p 5030

    On the machine I copy to:

    1. nc 192.168.0.1 5030 | gunzip > /dev/hda (192.168.0.1 is the ip of whatever machine I am cloning)

    When the xload drops down to zero, then I know it is done. I can typically start about 2 or 3 clients to copy them.

    For Windows 9x systems. I do a format c: /s from dos and then untar a tarred backup that I made using knoppix.

    Since Knoppix auto configures the hardware, I don't have to mess with making boot floppies or keeping track of them.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139

    copyin

    You can do the cat /dev/hda thing with ntfs, but you can't untar because Knoppix can't write to windows 2000 drives.

    For some reason, copying an EXT2 drive with knoppix takes much longer. For that I type mount and read the pid of the auto mounter and kill -9 it. Then umount everything that is /dev/hdsomething or /dev/sdasomething

    Also this will make the drives with identcal partitions so if you are going from a 20gb to a 40gb you'll have to make another partition or resize it using fips or something like that.

    If you want to make a compressed image of the drive you'd first want to dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda the source drive before loading anything on it so that the unused space will compress very well. Then remote mount a file system (samba or nfs) and
    cat /dev/hda | gzip -9 > /mnt/remotefs/blah.img.gz (something like that, the > may not be necessary)

    If you already have a full drive that you want to duplicate do something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/junkfile.tmp that will fill the empty space with zeros and then delete the junkfile.tmp after it dies from a full filesystem.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    24

    I copied it to knoppixwiki

    I have copied your very interessting info into http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...ationUeberNetz
    and make the translation into German.

    I hope you like it.
    Hamatoma

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: copyin

    >> If you want to make a compressed image of the drive you'd first want to dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda the drive so that the unused space will compress very well. Then remote mount a file system...

    --Do you realize what you just said there? That ***wipes out the entire drive,*** making it pointless to back up...

    Quote Originally Posted by stonent
    You can do the cat /dev/hda thing with ntfs, but you can't untar because Knoppix can't write to windows 2000 drives.

    For some reason, copying an EXT2 drive with knoppix takes much longer. For that I type mount and read the pid of the auto mounter and kill -9 it. Then umount everything that is /dev/hdsomething or /dev/sdasomething

    Also this will make the drives with identcal partitions so if you are going from a 20gb to a 40gb you'll have to make another partition or resize it using fips or something like that.

    If you want to make a compressed image of the drive you'd first want to dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda the drive so that the unused space will compress very well. Then remote mount a file system (samba or nfs) and
    cat /dev/hda | gzip -9 > /mnt/remotefs/blah.img.gz (something like that, the > may not be necessary)

    If you already have a full drive that you want to duplicate do something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/junkfile.tmp that will fill the empty space with zeros and then delete the junkfile.tmp after it dies from a full filesystem.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139

    Re: copyin

    I should clarify. I meant to say do that before putting anything on the drive. Otherwise you'll have to zero out the other space using the other method i mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    >> If you want to make a compressed image of the drive you'd first want to dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda the drive so that the unused space will compress very well. Then remote mount a file system...

    --Do you realize what you just said there? That ***wipes out the entire drive,*** making it pointless to back up...

    Quote Originally Posted by stonent
    You can do the cat /dev/hda thing with ntfs, but you can't untar because Knoppix can't write to windows 2000 drives.

    For some reason, copying an EXT2 drive with knoppix takes much longer. For that I type mount and read the pid of the auto mounter and kill -9 it. Then umount everything that is /dev/hdsomething or /dev/sdasomething

    Also this will make the drives with identcal partitions so if you are going from a 20gb to a 40gb you'll have to make another partition or resize it using fips or something like that.

    If you want to make a compressed image of the drive you'd first want to dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda the drive so that the unused space will compress very well. Then remote mount a file system (samba or nfs) and
    cat /dev/hda | gzip -9 > /mnt/remotefs/blah.img.gz (something like that, the > may not be necessary)

    If you already have a full drive that you want to duplicate do something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/junkfile.tmp that will fill the empty space with zeros and then delete the junkfile.tmp after it dies from a full filesystem.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    47
    I sure wouldn't have liked to come into this thread at the wrong point as a newbie. ;>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Klaus can make money with Palm editition
    By Eshnet.net in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
  2. SB Live 5.1 best card for the money?
    By rickenbacherus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:13 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 08:11 PM
  4. Knoppix setting saves and more...
    By Flitt in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 09:11 AM
  5. Knoppix Saves The Data!
    By k.otaku in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1785.15



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$20.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.60



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Apple MacBook Pro 13” 2020 A2251 Touch Bar i5 16GB RAM 1TB SSD - Tested picture

Apple MacBook Pro 13” 2020 A2251 Touch Bar i5 16GB RAM 1TB SSD - Tested

$299.99