-
Knoppix saves my company money!
Because of the simplicity of it and the netboot option, we are able to use Knoppix to clone computers without having to purchase a Norton Ghost license for each system. Here is how I use Knoppix on a daily basis.
We have several computers that are configured identically for the product that we sell. So I start one "set" up. One acts as the knoppix boot server and the others net boot off of it. Then I connect a long ethernet cable to a "fresh" set that has not had the OS or our special software loaded yet and net boot them off of the knoppix server.
Then one by one I execute a command like this to clone them.
On the machine I want to copy from:
1. Open 2 root windows
2. start xload on one of them
3. cat /dev/hda | gzip -9 | nc -l -p 5030
On the machine I copy to:
1. nc 192.168.0.1 5030 | gunzip > /dev/hda (192.168.0.1 is the ip of whatever machine I am cloning)
When the xload drops down to zero, then I know it is done. I can typically start about 2 or 3 clients to copy them.
For Windows 9x systems. I do a format c: /s from dos and then untar a tarred backup that I made using knoppix.
Since Knoppix auto configures the hardware, I don't have to mess with making boot floppies or keeping track of them.
Similar Threads
-
By Eshnet.net in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
-
By rickenbacherus in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:13 AM
-
By Jared in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 08:11 PM
-
By Flitt in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-09-2003, 09:11 AM
-
By k.otaku in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

UBIQUITI UVP-TOUCH VoIP Desktop Touchscreen Smart Phone
$55.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Cisco CP-7841-K9 4-Line Gigabit VoIP IP Phone PoE Office Desk 3.5" Display NEW
$89.99

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Polycom Poly ObiHai OBI302 VOIP Adapter FREE S/H
$29.99