CD is much better when using the toram switch on low memory machines ... I have been running the live CD from memory for 202 days on my bedside laptop without restart or reset...
CD is much better when using the toram switch on low memory machines ... I have been running the live CD from memory for 202 days on my bedside laptop without restart or reset...
I just repeat what I have said elsewhere a few times: A minimal Knoppix would be very useful - but don't pretend that there is room for much in the way of standard applications with all bells and whistles. This will have to be managed by the user, I think.
.
I would like to propose that Klaus K view this survey from a different point of view.
Rather than assume we all need a DVD-size Knoppix, and ask 'Who needs a CD-version of Knoppix ?',
let's ask 'Who needs CD-size Knoppix? and, Who needs a DVD-size Knoppix?
I suggest everyone needs a CD-size Knoppix, almost no-one needs a DVD-size Knoppix, and
almost everyone would like some elements of the DVD-size Knoppix in addition to that
which the CD-size Knoppix provides.
Knoppix has a built-in procedure for combining individual isos which works elegantly so long
as there is no overlapping use of the same final memory locations. This built-in capability
is often used to provide additional material on CeBIT products.
It is conceivable, to me at least, that Knoppix might alternatively be provided by issuance always
of at least a CD-size Knoppix iso, and as time permits of the provider, additional isos which
add additional capabilities in packages each of 4 Gb or less. Said capabilities of the
CD-size iso and the totality of these additional isos amounting in the aggregate to that of
a former DVD-size Knoppix.
Knoppix currently may combine up to eight isos, two should suffice in principle to allow for
both a CD-size iso and a DVD-size adapter iso . But, it might be wiser to use more isos, each with
some some different but additive specialization. And I expect it might be possible to so apportion
the aggregate additional capabilities into separate isos such that no user may ever need
to actually implement the total aggregate.
This apportionment of isos with additive capabilites might also allow the provider
to delegate the programming of different isos to different subordinates.
While the DVD is nice and has lots of applications I agree that the CD is pretty useful to many people. Most people can't load the DVD to memory, at least not on all of their systems, as it requires systems with more than 4 gig of RAM. When working on older computers a CD could be a must. And a CD is a much better choice for the basis of other things rather than starting with a full DVD and trying to strip it back down safely. Maybe it is too late for the current system but I also hope that in the future Klaus will save a basic system that will fit on a CD before adding all of the applications to only fit on a DVD version.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
It would seem, and by an extremely healthy margin too, that CD's are the much preferred medium.
Please re-consider.
Last edited by Marv; 11-14-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Attempting to install different distros of linux wont work using a dvd because it doesn't have anything but an old 24x cd player and not much horsepower P4 1.6ghz+268mb of ram. While I'm familiar with Ubuntu my 9-4 seems to be too scratched to do the job anymore. I hope this works for a replacement of xp.
I vote for a stripped down CD version, but ask for one option not available in the DVD version, the capability to save configuration settings (at least!) without first doing a usb-flash install. I note that Klaus's note mentions the possibility of PCs that can't boot from USB. Add to that the complications of hardware settings etc. that need to be tweaked, and you need some way of saving settings for an unfamiliar. I've never understood Klaus's objection to retaining the old system, in which settings and installed apps could be saved to a hard drive or other media separate. Has he ever explained this? But if that's an absolute, then how using Puppy Linux's option of installing to CD without finalizing the disk, and allowing configuration settings to be written to a separate file on the disk (preferably more than one to be offered as options on boot up).
I vote against a 'stripped-down' CD version.
No doubt Mr Knopper has more important things to do, and to offer us.
That's a clever idea. I imagine that it may be because:
1. USBs have gotten so much cheaper, r/w so much faster, and may have so much more capacity than a CD; and
2. perhaps CDRs may not have as good a reputation for (re)wriiting additional material to the same device.
Of course, that may not help much if your rig doesn't do USBs.![]()
I have been playing with my Poor Man's Install of 7.4.1. Previously, (7.3 and earlier), a Poor Man's install would ask if you want a settings file on first boot.If you said yes it got stored on the hard drive in the same directory as the Poor Man's.
With 7.4.1 this didn't happen. A settings file was not created. However, a look at the cheatcodes file on the DVD shows that there is a new cheatcode 'mkimage'. Use this and you will be asked if you want a settings file as before. After the file is created it gets used automatically without the need to boot with a cheatcode.
I know this is still not having the ability to boot with a CD/DVD and having a settings file on the hard drive but if you have to go to the hard drive to pick up a settings file then you might as well pick up the whole system from the hard drive (the Poor Man's Install).

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55
MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory
$399.99
LOT OF 8 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 MTA36ASF2G72PZ SERVER MEMORY ECC
$500.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Lot Of 5 Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R Server Memory RAM M393B2G70DB0, WORKING
$69.99