-
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
utu
That's a clever idea. I imagine that it may be because:
1. USBs have gotten so much cheaper, r/w so much faster, and may have so much more capacity than a CD; and
2. perhaps CDRs may not have as good a reputation for (re)wriiting additional material to the same device.
Of course, that may not help much if your rig doesn't do USBs.

The requirement of Knoppix usb-flash to remain writable and mounted for the entire session has proven to be a repeat disaster for me. I've had at least four such installations corrupted beyond repair.
The Puppy Linux USB flash installation, OTOH, which allows the user to utilize the usb flash media simply to boot with the linux loader, and then choose a configuration file and applications on any other medium, has been used by me thousands of times in several computers (as opposed to a few dozen boots with the fragile Knoppix usb flash installation), and I've only had on Puppy install go bad. I'd still be using puppy for 90 % of my online activity (as I have for several years) if it weren't for having to confine myself to a AMI UEFI crippled Asus laptop, for which I haven't yet found a way to boot puppy. Unfortunately, Knoppix doesn't do so well with it either. I can't boot from the Live-DVD (the BIOS simply doesn't recognize it as a bootable device), so I have to sneaker-net over to a non-UEFI Windows 7 PC in order to make a usb-flash install that will barely work (the AMI BIOS will not retain the boot priority settings, returning Windows to the top position automatically). Booting Knoppix has become a five minute exercise, and so I barely use Linux anymore, and instead work with the worst OS I've experienced since OS/2 Warp, Windows 8.x.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y
$699.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*
$785.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM
$145.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99