Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: BASH bug

  1. #11
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Hello!

    You don't pestering the moderator. Above all I'm a member in the forum and almost all of my postings are postings as a member and not as a moderator. My activity as moderator is a secret job - ban spammer forever, write a warning pm to suspicious new users. Rarely in the past I had to intervene within a thread as moderator.

    Should I not worry about using cups, rsync, ssh and/or dhclient if
    these should 'serve' some purpose I don't presently need?
    If you use for example ssh, your computer is the server who offers the ssh-service. You as the client of the ssh-service may write a malicious bash-script and may attack your own server. Now, if you are sucessful, your own server may no longer be secure. But why should you do this?

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    .
    Thank you for your patience, Werner.

    I appreciate all you do for this forum, and for the
    numerous times you have helped me solve a Linux problem.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    742 Result of bash bug test

    Heres what I get with Knoppix 7.4.2 LiveDVD
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Heres what I get with Knoppix 7.4.2 LiveDVD
    You have 7.4.2?

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, philo.

    I d/l-ed my iso earlier today.

    The DVD iso is (at least) at both the first two ftp choices at:
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
    No CD version yet.

    MY new iso made a good LiveDVD and LiveUSB.
    With the LiveUSB, I had better luck NOT using either option to save personal stuff.
    I just used my own notes & files for that this time.
    Last edited by utu; 09-30-2014 at 08:37 PM.

  6. #16
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    The DVD iso is (at least) at both the first two ftp choices at......
    Importantly, it is also on the Knoppix Bit Torrent Tracker at http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
    I'm unclear why people are still using the FTP and/or HTML downloads, I haven't used them for Knoppix since the torrents became available. I've found the torrents faster and completely error free, while I had a lot of problems with errors on the FTP sites. If one has never used a torrent before it might take five minutes to download a client and start using it, but that will pay off before the first download is even finished.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    No argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
    If one has never used a torrent before it might take five minutes to download a client and start using it, but that will pay off before the first download is even finished.
    Greetings, Harry.
    But FWIW, the first site dls ftp at 5 min per Gb for me. Testdvds were ok first time through.

  8. #18
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I'm unclear why people are still using the FTP and/or HTML downloads, I haven't used them for Knoppix since the torrents became available. I've found the torrents faster ..
    Hello Harry!

    Possibly it may be so for one or another. For me I have no advantage using the Torrents. I have a very slow DSL download rate of nearby 250kB/sec offered by my provider and this I've got last night for my download from a mirror (for me in Germany). In the last years I never had a md5sum error using the mirrors.

    I also tried Bittorrent this night and got a rate nearby 80kB/sec downloading from 3 of 6 peers.

  9. #19
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Hi Werner and utu,

    As to not having a md5 error in recent years, neither have I, but clearly for different reasons. I was seeing about 50% bad downloads. I tracked this to FTP sometimes thinking that it should do a NL -> CR/LF translation on the files. Of course, I was using Windows and I expect that you use Linux to download so would never see this. But I also expect that most novices to Knoppix are also downloading the ISO in Windows. Never have had this problem with any other binary FTP download in Windows, but must have had over two dozen bad downloads in my first few years on Knoppix FTP servers before the torrents were offered.

    I'm not sure why your torrent speed was so slow. Of course, I'm downloading the EN version rather than the DE version and there are a lot more seeders. There also could be an issue with some clients artificially slowing down if you don't have a router set up to properly forward ports, but recent clients seem to be getting past this nicely. I haven't forwarded any ports for the bittorrent protocol in my current router and I'm still seeing great speeds (as contrasted to the mirrors) and I'm seeing that I have plenty of piers that I'm both getting data from and sharing data with.

    Perhaps the lower demand for the DE version could mean that any one mirror can keep up with it's demands, but I sure didn't see that on the EN mirrors.

    For these reasons, I think the torrents are still a much better recommendation for the average user.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98