Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Knoppix 7.4.2 Iceweasel does not connect to outlook.com. JAVA Problem

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    8
    Since the first version 7 of knoppix I'm also having trouble creating bootable usb drives. The only way I've found to make it right is by formatting the usb drive as FAT32 using gparted. Then, when the installer asks if you want to partition and format the drive or just copy the required files, I select only copy files. If I select partition and format, it doesn't work. All the required files are copied to the drive, but for some reason it's not bootable. Try doing as I said, it works most of the times.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    Hi Harry Kuhman
    Thanks you for these informations.They are somewhat technical for me today.I am somewhat a bit a newbie.I never tried to use Torrent assuming it needs some good initiation. But you seem to tell me it needs not. So I shall try as soon as possible.Nor have I tried to use checksums. You explain me their importance here.I understand much more now that the fact that Iso_md5 exist are not "painful" and are worth to be considered (almost "always" ?).
    Thanks you

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    hi guest
    i did not see your post. I have already tried almost all "reasonably accessible" methods even using gparted.Flash-install never writes adequate "configuration files".Nor external install programs. So I have buyed a 500Go_USB_Hdd which works fine using "YUMI- install-program" which is a good multiboot program which presents you directly the very PARTITIONS and not the "DRIVES ONLY"... (perhaps due to a a security problem because knoppix is not really intended for HDD, being not a real debian distribution.). I recommend this method because USB_HDD are not heavy nor "enormous" and are relatively cheap when compared to numerous usb disks (especially sd_cards which works always).
    Thanks you
    knp
    Last edited by knp; 10-15-2014 at 12:27 PM.

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by knp View Post
    I never tried to use Torrent assuming it needs some good initiation. But you seem to tell me it needs not.
    Checking the md5 is absolutely a must if you are using the mirrors. To be honest I don't always do the test on torrent downloaded files, since the torrent client does that for you automatically. There are many programs under Windows that will do the check for first time users. I like md5summer, but it's interface takes a few seconds to figure out (seconds, not minutes or hours), as it isn't typical of Windows interfaces. I've used others as well but some don't show progress as they compute the md5 hash, and since the ISO is a pretty large file you can think the program is hung for a couple of minutes while it does the calculation.

    I used to have to forward some ports on my router when doing torrent downloads. That usually isn't a big deal, but I understand that it is just another step when someone isn't used to making router changes. When I started doing torrent downloads to multiple computers on my network that complicated things, as the ports might be forwarded to the wrong computer. For a while I had a router that would spot the outbound traffic and make the port adjustments to whatever computer was in use, but that router died.

    The port issue is to allow others to connect to your computer, since the spirit of torrents is that everyone shares and while you are downloading you can also upload parts for others. Torrent clients are designed to slow down feeds when they detect that someone isn't sharing, so opening inbound ports was important. It is still safe, as those ports are only used by the torrent client and it will only share the torrent files, the rest of your data is still very private.

    Recently I changed routers again (new one from my ISP) and the new router again lacks the dynamic features a good third party router would have. But even before trying to forward ports in the router I noticed that my torrent speeds were very fast and that I was getting connections from other torrent users to download files that I was hosting. I'm using microtorrent (uTorrent). I haven't keep active in the torrent protocols myself in recent years, but I have to assume that there have been some enhancements made to the torrent system to allow these users to have access even without port forwarding. I don't know that for a fact, it is only based on what I see. That's a nice move, since the need to forward router ports certainly may have intimidated some novice users, even though it isn't complex and is a good skill to learn and be able to use.

    I would suggest trying uTorrent. Torrents start slow and then build up speed, so don't be put off by slower than expected speeds in the first minute. After ten minutes or so if you are not seeing the download speeds that you expect, then you might want to research bittorrent port forwarding and make a simple router change, but I haven't needed it in recent years.
    Last edited by Harry Kuhman; 10-15-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    Thanks you Harris Kuhman.
    I see that it's not so easy to use for a very beginning user when on a hurry. I think that I shall have a bit of job which is worth to be done ....
    Thanks
    knp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00