.
Greetings again, jvfc678.

It's not clear to me what you have for a system.

From another thread it seems you didn't set up via a flash-knoppix approach,
and beyond that it's not clear just how you set up Knoppix.
Whatever your system is, it does appear NOT to save changed audio settings.
This is hard to understand if indeed other changes are saved.

I think the experts (I'm not one) might start with asking you to tell us
what you get with the command
Code:
df -kTh
so the main elements of your install become apparent.

If your 'install' is one like a poor-man's install, these begin with a
wholesale resurrection of the LiveDVD image, which will overwrite anything
in its memory space. It takes a persistence file to re-create any changes
in this instance. This case would behave exactly the same as operating with
a LivedVD; that is, no changes get saved (or they are wiped out on re-boot).

My system is a LiveUSB on an SDHC card, set up with reiserfs persistence
using flash Knoppix. I don't have your problem. I can't help thinking you
might find it easier just to go back and make a flash-knoppix LiveUSB with
persistence rather than try to get to the bottom of the current symptoms you describe.