I have Knoppix installed on an older Del Notebook. It has USB 1.1 and I am using a USB Wireless network.

Using Linksys Wireless-G model WUSB54G ver 4

I do the following to get it going.

1. Run Kwifimanager (it will not find any SSIDs or show any signal but don't worry about it)
2. Run netcardconfig
3. Select NO on DHCP (DO NOT USE DHCP!)
4. Select all the defaults don't worry about what it uses for an IP.
5. Kwifimanger will now light up and you can search for SSIDs
6. Select the SSID you want to link to.
7. Run netcardconfig again this time select DHCP.

You are now up and running.

The next time you boot up it may or may not connect. If not use the seven steps above to get back on.
I do not know why it needs a default IP to do a DHCP but it does.

The above steps will get your laptop working in an airport or motel that has wireless internet.

-Dragon