Hi all,
how can I get the kppp window to be launched automatically as soon as an application requests Internet traffic and no network connection is already there?
Windows and Mac OS do this by default.
probono
Hi all,
how can I get the kppp window to be launched automatically as soon as an application requests Internet traffic and no network connection is already there?
Windows and Mac OS do this by default.
probono
The way I use dial on demand is using pppconfig from the command line
do (ctrl+alt+f2) and get to a command line.
Type in pppconfig and enter your parameters for your ISP
go to advanced settings and turn on dial on demand. This will make your computer dial the internet whenever it needs to.
You will then need to type in
pon <the provider name you typed in>
and it will wait for you to try to get to the internet before it dials
to sign off type in
poff
and it will disconnect, unless you set a time out value in the advanced settings of pppconfig
Thanks very much, but how do I get a window popping up automatically whenever an application wants to create traffic? In that window, I need the buttons "connect" and "cancel".
If anyone is interested in getting dial on demand into KDE, please vote for KDE Bug 4354: No dial on demand (wishlist)
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4354
As soon as a program wants to connect to the Internet, a window should pop up asking whether to dial in:
![]()
I am making some progress on this as it is still an issue for me.
Here is an interface I designed using kommander. It has the options Modem, ISDN, and DSL and basically makes use of shell scripts. My idea is to call this window from a pppd that listens to a dummy interface in order to determine whether the user wants to connect to the Internet.
If anyone is interested, help would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe you want to read this:
http://nleaudio.com/bnotes/dialondemand.htm

Vintage Genuine IBM 5182 Dot Matrix PRINTER RIBBON Black 6320194 NEW Discontinue
$22.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00
Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00
6487143 IBM Power Supply Board Standard Vintage Genuine FOR PARTS REPAIR UNTESTE
$45.00
Vintage Suncom Computer Monitor Station Stand Rare, GOOD SHAPE
$99.99
Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts
$49.78
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99