Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 7.4.2 - KDE brain damage fixes - ep.1 - Xscreensaver by Bill Gates

Threaded View

  1. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    I think. it's time to calm down and read the statement of the author which I found as a quotation.
    Code:
    Bool
    senescent_p (void)
    {
      /* If you are in here because you're planning on disabling this warning
         before redistributing my software, please don't.
    
         I sincerely request that you do one of the following:
    
             1: leave this code intact and this warning in place, -OR-
    
             2: Remove xscreensaver from your distribution.
    
         I would seriously prefer that you not distribute my software at all
         than that you distribute one version and then never update it for
         years.
    
         Thank you!
    
         jwz, 2014
    And if we have a look at his side "What's New" it 's a bad idea to waste a lot tof time by hacking an out of date version of xscreensaver instead of install the latest version within a minimal time.
    OK, look, honestly, I understand and agree with what you're saying. I also understand the programmer's point of view.
    It's not that I want to taunt the programmer now by doing the exact opposite of what he asks politely.
    Believe me, that's not the problem.

    My point is this:

    He's talking about those persons in positions like Klaus Knopper's, who actually come up with different Linux distros and distribute them.
    He's talking about distribution maintainers. And I don't think Mr. Knopper will ever do what I'm suggesting here.
    First of all, he might not even find out about an issue like this. It doesn't pop out all the time, only when the time limit expires.
    Second, I think he has much better challenges to deal with.

    Whereas I posted this thread for the lowest users, you know, regular G.I. Joes like me, who are just looking for a fix to include in their own OS for personal use.
    Why? Because, like I said, one of the reasons someone chooses Knoppix is that the OS is Read Only, you can just keep in on a disc or a R/O SD Card and forget about system crashes, viruses, defrags etc. The very strong word here is "NO UPDATING REQUIRED EVER". A time limit anywhere in something like this is absurd.
    Taking it out of the system completely (uninstalling it) is indeed an option, but before doing so one needs to figure out if there are other packages they still need which would have to be extirpated too... you know the dependency nightmare in Linux!

    And I really have no intention to distribute this modified K7.4.2 to anyone.
    I just need something that works fuss-free. For me only, for good and forever.
    And I expect there are others like me.

    Yes i understand that a normal OS is mandatory to update regularly!. But this is not a regular OS.
    One doesn't necessary have to use K7.4.2 on a computer connected to any network.
    You can just use it for debugs or whatever on a totally isolated (older) mainboard.
    This is basically a time snapshot OS. You just take it for what it is, forever after.

    So here: for conformance, I make this official statement:

    "I do not by any means endorse, advise or suggest that the reader of this thread use the information presented here in order to include a version of xscreensaver modified as above in a Linux distribution meant for public distribution. Please don't.
    The information presented here is for end-users only with the sincere recommendation that they keep the modified version of this software (xscreensaver) for themselves only and that they never complain about bugs they might find (if any) in this software version in the future.
    Use it at your own risk, don't complain if you do so.
    In case you have complains, please update to the latest version first and then reevaluate your complains.

    Thank you

    chris_Xnest"
    Last edited by chris_Xnest; 01-04-2015 at 02:41 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99