You've forgot to tell us in detail, what you really did. And, have you studied "man update-rc.d"?.. there wasn't even a single error message when I tried to remove a non-existent symbolic link.
Hi, folks:
I just came across the mentioned problem while using a persistent overlay to do a mock test on my re-mastering procedure. Apparently, it works on KNOPPIX 7.2 as some messages were spitted out after executing this command in terminal, while on 7.4.2 there wasn't even a single error message when I tried to remove a non-existent symbolic link. Besides, by looking at the time stamps of the symlinks in the /etc/rc[0-6S].d folders, it seems to me that the existing symlinks were created during the mastering stage.
So, I wonder if the update-rc.d command only works in the chroot environment (in the context of KNOPPIX 7.4.2). Any pointers will be much appreciated.
ATB,
You've forgot to tell us in detail, what you really did. And, have you studied "man update-rc.d"?.. there wasn't even a single error message when I tried to remove a non-existent symbolic link.
Thanks for the reply, Werner.
Well... if I still remember right, reading the user's manual before using any piece of equipment is still one of the golden rules on my book. So, no worries, I got that part (man update-rc.d) covered. But I am wrong about the failure of spitting out error message when a non-existent symlink is being removed. Ideally, it emits an error message when an existing symlink whose target is still in place is about to be deleted; in fact, it never do so, regardless of the version of KNOPPIX.
Removing the virtualbox symlinks in /etc/rc*.d is actually what I would like to do. According to the man page of update-rc.d, it shall remove the named symlink, regardless of the existence of /etc/init.d/virtualbox, if the -f argument has also been given. To be crystal clear, the files (/etc/init.d/virtualbox) from VBox 4.2.10+dfsg-1 and 4.3.14+dfsg-1 are identical. So, it's unlikely that the content of the script causes the problem. To be more certain, all the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d are supposed to be wiped out by the following code:
It isn't surprising to see all the symlinks are still intact. So, it seems to me that the update-rc.d and/or its related scripts are where the problem lies. For some reason, removing symlink is the only thing it cannot do.Code:# with root privilege INSANE=`find /etc/rc?.d -type l | sed 's/.*[SK][0-9][0-9]//' | sort | uniq` for i in $INSANE ; do update-rc.d -f "$i" remove ; done
ATB,
I've tested it for myself, and yes, update-rc.d (part of sysv-rc 2.88dsf-53) within Knoppix 7.4.2 is buggy and neither the option "-n" nor the parameter "remove" works. Within Knoppix 7.2.0 there is sysv-rc 2.88dsf-41.
Many thanks for your time, Werner. The sysvc-rc shipped with 7.4.2 is KNOPPIX's own breed; I don't really mind the removal function isn't working , and just need to keep an eye on those folders and remove the symlinks after purging the packages.
--- Really Off Topics ---
To folks who have been following this thread:
Check out KNOPPIX's own repository for the patched version of xscreensaver if you are tired of the "very old" warning message.
ATB,
For people who don't know this server:Check out KNOPPIX's own repository
http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian....kages/?C=M;O=D

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99