-
Junior Member
registered user
what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no-no
I've just learned (to my great dismay) that my SMC Ultra NIC won't
work well with Knoppix (or perhaps at all). In order to save myself needless further grief
I've decided to buy a new NIC - preferably
a wireless PCI.
Can anyone tell me if there is a first-choice card that is guaranteed to
work well with Knoppix? (Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).
thanks,
Stefan
-
Not a guarantee, but I've had reasonably good results with my Lucent/Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card, including support for WEP encryption via iwconfig.
-
I'm running an older Orinoco Lucent card. It works fine, but requires a
Code:
> iwconfig eth0 essid XXX
and unplugging the card before it'll take off. The menu sequence does not seem to work for this card.
Otherwise it's wonderful!
-
Wireless PCI card...
I would recommend the NetGear MA311 PCI card if you're looking for wireless PCI. That has worked well for me -- and is auto-recognized by Knoppix. Also is recognized by Red Hat 9 with a little bit of work... SuSE 8.2 recognizes automatically as well.
Hope that helps!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no

Originally Posted by
stefan_isaacs
(Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).
thanks,
Stefan
A good place to start is the The Linux Documentation Project and as always Google Linux .
-
Kernel Config
Another convenient place is to look in the kernel config after you cd to /usr/src/linux and do make xconfig. Don't forget mailinglists too.
-
Junior Member
registered user
supported network cards..
I'm afraid something like the Linux Documentation Project or googling Linux is less than useful. I have a very common card (SMC Ultra ISA), supported by nearly every flavour of Linux as far as I can tell, that is not supported by Knoppix.
The Linux Doc Project just lets me know which cards are supported under _a_ variant of Linux - not which variant.
What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?
Other people seem to think there is a use for this...
thanks, S.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: supported network cards..

Originally Posted by
stefan_isaacs
What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?
There is one here more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.
-
Junior Member
registered user
great resource..
Thanks.. this site is a great resource and much more of what I was
looking for. I will, of course, contribute my data to it as well.
cheers,
Stefan
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: supported network cards..

Originally Posted by
Stephen
There is one
here more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.
Wow this list has really come along. When it first started I wondered if it would get enough entries to be useful, but it clearly has. I feel guilty for not contributing! I will now.
BTW, I also second other's choice of the Orioco Gold card. This has to be the best supported wireless card availble for linux. It has always worked perfectly. I have had problems with both Netgear and Dlink pci cards. I just got a Linksys wireless usb adapter (WUSB12) and after following the tips here it works fine (except for encryption which I haven't gotten working yet).
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 51
Last Post: 03-02-2008, 02:09 AM
-
By zfirestone in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-13-2005, 10:31 PM
-
By sparticus in forum Laptops
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
-
By tursiops in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-07-2004, 03:59 PM
-
By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5ββ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99