Not a guarantee, but I've had reasonably good results with my Lucent/Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card, including support for WEP encryption via iwconfig.
I've just learned (to my great dismay) that my SMC Ultra NIC won't
work well with Knoppix (or perhaps at all). In order to save myself needless further griefI've decided to buy a new NIC - preferably
a wireless PCI.
Can anyone tell me if there is a first-choice card that is guaranteed to
work well with Knoppix? (Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).
thanks,
Stefan
Not a guarantee, but I've had reasonably good results with my Lucent/Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card, including support for WEP encryption via iwconfig.
I'm running an older Orinoco Lucent card. It works fine, but requires a
and unplugging the card before it'll take off. The menu sequence does not seem to work for this card.Code:> iwconfig eth0 essid XXX
Otherwise it's wonderful!
I would recommend the NetGear MA311 PCI card if you're looking for wireless PCI. That has worked well for me -- and is auto-recognized by Knoppix. Also is recognized by Red Hat 9 with a little bit of work... SuSE 8.2 recognizes automatically as well.
Hope that helps!
A good place to start is the The Linux Documentation Project and as always Google Linux .Originally Posted by stefan_isaacs
Another convenient place is to look in the kernel config after you cd to /usr/src/linux and do make xconfig. Don't forget mailinglists too.
I'm afraid something like the Linux Documentation Project or googling Linux is less than useful. I have a very common card (SMC Ultra ISA), supported by nearly every flavour of Linux as far as I can tell, that is not supported by Knoppix.
The Linux Doc Project just lets me know which cards are supported under _a_ variant of Linux - not which variant.
What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?
Other people seem to think there is a use for this...
thanks, S.
There is one here more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.Originally Posted by stefan_isaacs
Thanks.. this site is a great resource and much more of what I was
looking for. I will, of course, contribute my data to it as well.
cheers,
Stefan
Wow this list has really come along. When it first started I wondered if it would get enough entries to be useful, but it clearly has. I feel guilty for not contributing! I will now.Originally Posted by Stephen
BTW, I also second other's choice of the Orioco Gold card. This has to be the best supported wireless card availble for linux. It has always worked perfectly. I have had problems with both Netgear and Dlink pci cards. I just got a Linksys wireless usb adapter (WUSB12) and after following the tips here it works fine (except for encryption which I haven't gotten working yet).

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55