Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no-no

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Camano Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no-no

    I've just learned (to my great dismay) that my SMC Ultra NIC won't
    work well with Knoppix (or perhaps at all). In order to save myself needless further grief I've decided to buy a new NIC - preferably
    a wireless PCI.

    Can anyone tell me if there is a first-choice card that is guaranteed to
    work well with Knoppix? (Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).

    thanks,
    Stefan

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    6
    Not a guarantee, but I've had reasonably good results with my Lucent/Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card, including support for WEP encryption via iwconfig.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1
    I'm running an older Orinoco Lucent card. It works fine, but requires a

    Code:
    > iwconfig eth0 essid XXX
    and unplugging the card before it'll take off. The menu sequence does not seem to work for this card.

    Otherwise it's wonderful!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1

    Wireless PCI card...

    I would recommend the NetGear MA311 PCI card if you're looking for wireless PCI. That has worked well for me -- and is auto-recognized by Knoppix. Also is recognized by Red Hat 9 with a little bit of work... SuSE 8.2 recognizes automatically as well.

    Hope that helps!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no

    Quote Originally Posted by stefan_isaacs
    (Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).

    thanks,
    Stefan
    A good place to start is the The Linux Documentation Project and as always Google Linux .

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73

    Kernel Config

    Another convenient place is to look in the kernel config after you cd to /usr/src/linux and do make xconfig. Don't forget mailinglists too.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Camano Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    supported network cards..

    I'm afraid something like the Linux Documentation Project or googling Linux is less than useful. I have a very common card (SMC Ultra ISA), supported by nearly every flavour of Linux as far as I can tell, that is not supported by Knoppix.

    The Linux Doc Project just lets me know which cards are supported under _a_ variant of Linux - not which variant.

    What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?

    Other people seem to think there is a use for this...

    thanks, S.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: supported network cards..

    Quote Originally Posted by stefan_isaacs
    What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?
    There is one here more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Camano Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    great resource..

    Thanks.. this site is a great resource and much more of what I was
    looking for. I will, of course, contribute my data to it as well.

    cheers,
    Stefan

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: supported network cards..

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    There is one here more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.
    Wow this list has really come along. When it first started I wondered if it would get enough entries to be useful, but it clearly has. I feel guilty for not contributing! I will now.

    BTW, I also second other's choice of the Orioco Gold card. This has to be the best supported wireless card availble for linux. It has always worked perfectly. I have had problems with both Netgear and Dlink pci cards. I just got a Linksys wireless usb adapter (WUSB12) and after following the tips here it works fine (except for encryption which I haven't gotten working yet).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix and Wireless
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 02:09 AM
  2. Knoppix Wireless
    By zfirestone in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 10:31 PM
  3. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  4. Knoppix and wireless
    By tursiops in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 03:59 PM
  5. No wireless extensions with Zonet USB wireless w/knoppix 3.4
    By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST picture

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST

$159.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98