Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can connect to ISP but not ping any host

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12

    Can connect to ISP but not ping any host

    except the box I am connected to. This is true with KPPP and with pon. Each has been configured independently. After several attempts, I replaced the /etc/resolv.conflict file with one from a working RH installaation, but no go.

    I reset all the timeouts to maxima. PPPStatus reports "stalls" without end except when pinging the ISP box I am connected to. No other IP traffic is sent.

    The same ISP, number and modem work fine under Windows, and works fine under RH-6.2 on my old box, so the prob is neither with my hardware nor with the ISP.

    Can someone shed some light on this prob? What am I overlooking? Or is Knoppix 060603 (3.2) flawed in some way? Should I try another build?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Try this
    edit your /etc/resolv.conf file
    Code:
    pico /etc/resolv.conf
    only have typed in
    Code:
     nameserver 4.2.2.2
    this is a DNS server for qwest i believe
    then save the file (ctrl+X)
    now try to ping yahoo.com and see if it works

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12
    Did it. No change in behavior.

    Quote Originally Posted by adamm
    Try this
    edit your /etc/resolv.conf file
    Code:
    pico /etc/resolv.conf
    only have typed in
    Code:
     nameserver 4.2.2.2
    this is a DNS server for qwest i believe
    then save the file (ctrl+X)
    now try to ping yahoo.com and see if it works

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    dial up to the internet and type in
    Code:
    route -n
    and patse the output here

    under "Flags" you should have one that reads UG which is your default gateway, this should be present or you won't be able to get to the internet

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm
    dial up to the internet and type in
    Code:
    route -n
    and patse the output here

    under "Flags" you should have one that reads UG which is your default gateway, this should be present or you won't be able to get to the internet
    Can't paste -- can't connect to the internet I am on my old box (RH-6.2). The two are not yet connected., so I have to type in what's on the other monitor. Hope I get it right!

    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

    66.81.235.197 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.254 .0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

    Hope that helps.

    However, in playing with wvdial ( a common between Knoppix and Red Hat -- RP3 is just a frontend for wvdial) I discovered what my feeling was all along: the password is not being forwarded correctly.

    When invoking wvdial (after setting up /etc/wvdial.conf with wvdialconf) I get a failure with the message that "no valid passowrd" was found. It is in /etc/wvdial in plain sight and plain text.

    What else leads me to suspect a password-forwarding problem is that although I can connect with XISP under RedHat using PAP/CHAP, RH's wvdial demands I connect with CHAP, which fails with a SIGHUP in Knoppix. I can get a pseudo connection with KPPP using PAP/CHAP under Knoppix' KPPP or pon apparently, but using CHAP gives a hangup to my password in both, although only wvdial warns me of not finding a password.

    Stumps me.

    Or I am not understanding something basic.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12

    my bad.

    The Subject says it all. Although I did a MD5 sum check on the ISO I downloaded, I copied the ISO from one hard disk to another, then installed the target hard disk on a new box, burned the ISO, but didn't notice a filesize mismatch between the target ISO and the source. 16+ MB are missing! Damn Windows!

    But I digress. This was not Knoppix' problem. It was all mine.

Similar Threads

  1. dial-up ics with knoppix as host/winxp as client
    By cyKeMatica in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:08 AM
  2. hda: host protected area after Knoppix-3.3 ????
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:47 AM
  3. live cd- php -nuke server&host
    By amigaman2 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 07:39 PM
  4. host neme lookup failure problem
    By r3c3 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 03:41 PM
  5. wicked problem - cant get mirror host
    By Prophet in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$124.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99