Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 1-SWAP_FILES_FOLDERS 2- Meaning of Starred Posts?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by knp View Post
    Can you tell me about "stars" appearing sometimes in the list of Forum_Posts ?
    If you mean the small gold stars, like sometimes five in a row? These are indiscriminately awarded ratings not reviewed
    or confirmed by anyone. Don't take them seriously. It's a *bug* not a *feature* of this forum IMO. Unless they are on
    one of my posts, in which case I concur in the astute judgement indicated thereby. And Werner's posts too, of course.
    Last edited by utu; 01-30-2015 at 04:19 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    Thanks utu

    Yes I meant the 5 small golden stars.

    I saw nothing "like" an explanation... beside "icons" for example.

    They do not appear inside any of the posts I have known.

    knp
    Last edited by knp; 01-30-2015 at 05:29 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    Hi utu

    1- I have found a real problem of mine encountered sometimes but I forgot:
    ( in addition to the probable Ram one?...).
    a- In my system certain files are sometimes difficult to transfer.
    This occures with files generally coming from Firefox or mail
    program (thunderbird etc...) files like *.js or *.css etc..
    b- The use of NTFS (surprisingly for knoppix 7.* (and 6.*). Copying
    works sometimes and not sometimes.
    2- My final solution using almost 5 minutes (against
    indeteterminated time) is to use HBCD_liveCD which allows
    easily NTFS operations.

    This situation does not satisfy me because I loose a part of my freedom when using
    Knoppix (or another system perhaps?!...).

    3- I catch this occasion (NOT URGENT) to ask you about ReiserFS:
    After formatting_Reiserfs a partition via GParted I never succeed to write on this
    partition using Knoppix (even for creating any folder!)

    Is this a kind of uncompatibily? If Yes why, Knoppix himsel using ReiserFS?

    Thank you

    knp
    Last edited by knp; 01-31-2015 at 12:40 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by knp View Post
    After formatting_Reiserfs a partition via GParted I never succeed to write on this
    partition using Knoppix (even for creating any folder!)

    Is this a kind of uncompatibily? If Yes why, Knoppix himsel using ReiserFS?
    First, please limit your posts to a single category. This makes it easier for other users to decide whether
    to audit or not. Also makes it easier for one to remember which thread it was he wanted to refer to.
    thread = category in this case.

    IIRC, one need not format a reiserfs partition ahead of time; start with a single fat32 partition and let Knoppix
    do its thing. If you want filesizes > 4 Gb, you need reiserfs. Otherwise the default choice IIRC is fat32.
    I use reiserfs simply because it reformats in a jiffy. Reformatting the file-within-a-file persistence on fat32
    seems to take forever, IMO. I don't have any > 4 Gb files to contend-with either.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110

    Reiserfs NTFS- originally SWAP

    Thanks you utu

    I do not think to have understood all your response (IIC or IMO = ?...)

    I understand that I must recall the name of the thread (where? I shall search).
    I thought this was done automatically.

    1- I CREATED a ReserFS partition on another disk to receive very large files_folders (>4Gb).
    I used to work with liveCD or Usb_Flash_Installed drives (limit 4Gb).

    2- The impossibility of writing on these ResiseFS partition obliged me to use NTFS with its
    probable incoming "problems".

    Thanks
    Last edited by knp; 01-31-2015 at 02:16 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by knp View Post
    1- I CREATED a ReserFS partition on another disk to receive very large files_folders (>4Gb).
    I used to work with liveCD or Usb_Flash_Installed drives (limit 4Gb).

    Start over; make another Knoppix LiveUSB.
    Re-format your current LiveUSB to a *single* partition; that is, just one partition initially.
    Format that single partition fat32.
    As Knoppix gives you the choice, elect reiserfs or " > 4 Gb " option.
    The size of the eventual reiserfs partition need not be > 4 Gb, only larger than several hundred MB.
    Knoppix will re-partition a second partition and format it reiserfs for persistence on its own.
    This way, knoppix knows where to find the reiserfs partition, because it created it.
    Last edited by utu; 01-31-2015 at 03:46 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110

    Reiserfs NTFS- originally SWAP

    Thanks you very much utu

    knp
    Last edited by knp; 01-31-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD picture

WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD

$40.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" MZ-ZLN512C 512GB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MZ7LN512HAJQ-000H1

$49.99