Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Permissions issues

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154

    Permissions issues

    I am having trouble with permissions...
    the directory file:home/knoppix/fonts
    contains some ttf fonts I want to use, but font manager says it does not have permission to access the dir.
    When I go to permissions (right click properties - permissions) it looks as if User has read and write permissions, but I also cannot change the contents as user, only as root.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    PS even when I move the ttf files to a partition I know user has write permissions on, I still get Permission Denied errors trying to install the fonts.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    As root in a console window chown -R knoppix.knoppix /home/knoppix will change the permissions of every file in the knoppix directory recursively (going down into the directories). Just because the directory is owned by the user does not mean the files are you most likely copied the files as root so therefore root still has ownership in future if you copy file as root use the -p option which will keep the current permission of the file to check who owns the file ls -l filename.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Ah ha...
    Now I understand!
    Thank you!

Similar Threads

  1. Permissions
    By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
  2. fscked permissions?
    By n01mportant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
  3. KDE permissions and user permissions!!!
    By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM
  4. Won't allow me to change permissions
    By sdat1333 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:37 PM
  5. Partition permissions...
    By buckinpgh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 06:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$99.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99