-
Knoppix issue with large USB connected hard drives?
I've encountered a problem with Knoppix which may be due to my use of a 2 tb USB hard drive. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Background I have been backing up my desktop and my wife's desktop WINXP computers using portable USB hard drives and Knoppix file utilities. Things have been working well. USB port is USB 2, and some of the 500 gb and 1 tb drives are USB 2 and some USB 3. File system is NTFS on the source computers and the target drives. I use "Copy" on the source files and "Paste" on the target drives. Transfer takes about four hours for 80 to 90 gb.
I got a couple of larger drives (2 tb) and cannot get the backups to record. The drives are recognized and the backup starts, but fails with no error message after about two or three folders. Problem is the same on either drive (Seagate expansion portable drive). I have tried partitioning the 2 tb drives to 2 one tb partitions to no avail. Same result.
I have tried using the 2 tb drives directly on windows and have copied large volumes of files directly, so it appears the drives are not at fault.
I would like to continue to use Knoppix to do the transfer, however, because it does not have the problem with long windows filenames nor distress at copying windows system files
.
Request Does anybody have any idea of what might account for this difference, or any tests I might run to help diagnose what may be causing the difference?
Thanks!
Rich113
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49