-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix 7.4.2 presents xscreensaver with GUI
I have been very comfortable with Knoppix 7.2.0, even with its many problems, as I gradually learnt to overcome them. At least, known enemies are better than unknown ones!
After much dilly-dallying with upgradation to the latest, expecting newer, improved version of packages I downloaded, manipulated the iso and booted into 7.4.2. And right away, trouble:
Screensaver asking for password...
After a few boots, I found that the xscreensaver is creating trouble.
I searched the Knoppix forum and found this post: 7.4.2 - KDE brain damage fixes - ep.1 - Xscreensaver by Bill Gates
Can't read so much! But skimmed through it anyhow...
I wonder whether the educational institutions all over the world dumb down people and slow them up, upon explicit direction from some influential quarters, using the schooling system where they teach kids to read.
I took the shortcut and uninstalled the xscreensaver by:
Code:
apt-get remove xscreensaver*
You could, too!
-
Senior Member
registered user
This is a known problem in Knoppix.
Refer to /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt:
Caution: X-Screensaver: Don't start xlock or any screensaver that
requires a password. There are no default passwords on KNOPPIX,
i.e. all accounts are LOCKED unless you explicitly set a password.
See also README_Security.txt about this issue.
If you accidentially hit the screensaver button in KDE,
switch to one of the textconsoles by Control-Alt-F1 and kill
the screensaver (or just set a password for the knoppix user).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Dear Utu,
I posted an easy way out, i.e., a solution, not a question!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$289.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99