Just adding the line:
@xbacklight = 30 [or more or less]
in:
/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
would not do?
.
I've seen the light with uefi, but it's too bright for me.
I have two Dell Inspiron laptops: One is a Win7 Model 1545 with Legacy boot,
the other a Win8 Model 3520 with uefi boot.
A Knoppix 7.4.2 LiveUSB with reiserfs persistence developed on the 1545 works
as well on the 3520 with one peculiar exception. The backlight on the 3520 is
uncomfortably bright.
My first attempt to correct this situation was to add a line in /etc/rc.local
commanding 'sudo /usr/bin/xbacklight 60' which works at a command line. But
it doesn't work at rc.local. Apparently /etc/rc.local does not apply after
all other init processes are done, after all.
I recall that it was convenient to use /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45knoppix as a
vehicle to remedy other things that rc.local no longer cured. So I've located
my xbacklight command in 45knoppix as well, and it serves the purpose.
So, I offer this Knoppix work-around if Win8 illumination is just too bright
to accept.
Just adding the line:
@xbacklight = 30 [or more or less]
in:
/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
would not do?
Greetings, Philo.
Thanks for the nice alternative. As you point out,
~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/@autostart -set 60
does the same thing as the 45knoppix workaround.
I have in mind adding a little bash line that decides whether
I want the Win7 or the Win8 machine to get this workaround.
I think 45knoppix may make it easier to pull that off,
unless you've got more magic to show us.

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99