-
I want to use this but..
My situation is this.. I have a 64 bit sont vaio whose hard drive is dying, and I teach for a living and I need virtualbox for my lessons. I found knoppix and installed it to a usb and booted it and i love it. However when i tried to use the virtualbox that was installed I got errors of wrong version. So then I tried to install via gdeb the 64 bit virtualbox .deb file for debian wheezy from their site but then it told me my architecture was not amd64. So I did arch and found it shows as x86_64. Then i did uname -a and found it showed the kernel as 3.16.3_64 (by the way im using 7.4.2 dvd version and I started the boot by typing knoppix64) so I could see that I was 64 bit. Then I looked at system monitor and saw it recognized my full 8gb of ram and not just 4gb, so this told me it was correct. Now when I do a uname -p it says unkown so Im not sure if my intel board is not showing up as the words amd64 or what the deal is. Bottom line is I would love to use knoppix on my usb, but I have to have 64 bit virtualbox installed to run some 64 bit vms I have on a separate hard drive. Can anyone help me?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Greetings and welcome to the forum.
Knoppix 7.4.2 will recognize a 64-bit computer and install a 64-bit kernel at boot.
This will help recognize more than 3+ Gb ram and will work with 64-bit uefi but
that's about it. This Knoppix, and earlier ones as well, only provide 32-bit libraries
to support apps.
You may research this forum and find how some of the advanced members have worked
around this to some success.
Last edited by utu; 04-09-2015 at 06:27 PM.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
utu
You may research this forum and find how some of the advanced members have worked around this to some success.
For example, use 'libraries' in the Advanced Search box in the upper right corner of the forum screen to search.
Some threads along this line were dealt with by Capricorny, kl522 and ruymbeke.
-
issue is though that its all over the board with how knoppix sees my architecture. arch command shows x86_64, but dkms architecture command shows 32 bit. As it stands even if i wanted to use virtualbox 32 bit that wont even install because of mismatch with kernel versions, and synaptic wont even allow me to mark for install because it says its not around anymore
-
Senior Member
registered user
'No 64-bit library support' means just that
1. VirtualBox is installed by default in Knoppix7.4.2
2. This VirtualBox and Knoppix7.4.2 itself are basically 32-bit except as I noted earlier.
3. No 64 bit apps, including those emulated in Virtual box are supported by the necessary libraries in Knoppix 7.4.2
4. There is virtually no 64-bit library support in Knoppix 7.4.2
If you insist on needing 64-bit support for your apps, you currently need another distribution or
as I suggested elsewhere, try some of the work-arounds tha Capricorny and others have discussed here.
All my previous comments apply only to an unmodified Knoppix 7.4.2 LiveUSB install, please be advised.
If you have tried to 'upgrade' Knoppix 7.4.2 with Synaptic or apt-get, it is quite likely you will arrive at
a broken and unusable Knoppix system. This is also likely if you try to bring in programs from other repos
without regard to version compatiblities.
-
ok thanks, im also trying out kali linux persistence, seems to be working good.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
dabluezpreacher
trying out kali linux
Kali Linux indeed looks interesting. This may very well provide an effective
avenue towards achieving the attributes of a 64-bit Knoppix-like Live System.
Some of the attributes of Kali Linux that may be of interest are:
Single (root) user LiveUSB with optional persistence.
Has its own mirror for ready-built LiveUSB isos.
User must follow Debian-Live procedure to provide separate ext partition for persistence (similar to Knoppix's Rieserfs partition)
Kernel is 3.18.3 (vs 3.18.6 for upcoming Knoppix 7.5)
Altenatively, taps into Debian-Live online build infrastructure for either 32- or 64-bit custom Debian-Stable-LiveUSB isos.
Has a currently very active user forum with a wide range of threads from beginner-level to advanced pen-testing topics in evidence.
Extensive and lucid on-line documentation.
620 Distrowatch hits/day twice that of Knoppix.
Start here for more information: http://docs.kali.org/introduction/what-is-kali-linux
-
Yeah i just created a persistent usb for kali and its super fast and it installs virtualbox. Thanks for your help
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition
$435.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe
$284.99