-
Senior Member
registered user
>> Now if you could install a program chroot /home/knoppix/.root then have the system be able to check there first then goto /, I think that would be more efficient. This is easily done via the PATH statement as long as it is checked first for executables, however, where I get lost are things like lib, etc and other crucial directories and links, especially if you have to add a module to the kernel (such as for a winmodem.)
--This is kind of what /usr/local/bin is for. But for libs and stuff, you may have to re-run ' ldconfig ' - see man page for it.
--In the case of new modules, I'd push Klaus to include it. If that's not possible due to licensing or whatever, you can just mount a file over loopback that has been formatted as a filesystem (' du -s -h /lib/modules ' and make sure you DD your file to be big enough, plus a bit extra), copy /lib/modules to it, umount it, mount it as /lib/modules, and copy your kernel module to it. Then depmod -a and modprobe. Post if you need details, but check my Linuxtips page ( http://wolfrdr.tripod.com/linuxtips.html ) also.
--The only thing is that you'd have to mount the file as /lib/modules at every boot, but that's part if what KPH is going to include as functionality.

Originally Posted by
sireasoning

Originally Posted by
lilliput
If think I have found the simple way to install some application ..
but i have still a little pb !!
the command I'd used are :
lndir /KNOPPIX/usr /mnt/hda2/install_dir
mount --bind /mnt/hda2/install_dir /usr
but the problem is that I can not access to much of applications after ...
Why ?? /KNOPPIX/usr is different from /usr or is something bad on command ..?
So I return to my try .. and doc yeap MAN PAGE !!!! I love IT LOL
__________________________________________________ ___________
Un lilliputien en délire ....
It doesn't appear that you have really done anything different. Currently /usr is just linked to /Knoppix/usr. What you did was create a link to /Knoppix/usr, mounted it in a different directory and then remounted it as /usr. The only way the above would work (with persistent home) would be if you had enough hard drive space to do something like this:
mkdir /home/knoppix/.root
cp -R /Knoppix/usr /home/knoppix/.root/
mount --bind /home/knoppix/.root/usr /usr
However /usr is huge and it would seem you would need a VERY large usb pen drive to do it this way. Now if you could install a program chroot /home/knoppix/.root then have the system be able to check there first then goto /, I think that would be more efficient. This is easily done via the PATH statement as long as it is checked first for executables, however, where I get lost are things like lib, etc and other crucial directories and links, especially if you have to add a module to the kernel (such as for a winmodem.)
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99