-
Senior Member
registered user
Lots of General questions about remastering
I'm trying to make a remaster that can run headless and diskless for people who run distributed computing clients on their home networks. I also want it to be a robust linux distribution for those who use a machine that isn't gutted and who have never tried linux before. There are a lot of things I need to know before I can begin.
1)Are config files generated by scripts and then stored in ramdisk? What config's can be changed apart from stuff in /home?
2)Can I symlink /etc config files to /mnt/floppy so the user can customize things like smb.conf, fstab, lm-sensors, and hostname?
3)Does the floppy mount at boot-time in order to get custom info from disk or does it do so at run level 5?
4)I want to use a script to d/l an app and run it in ramdisk. It needs 64mb. Do I need a seperate ramdisk from the OS? What fs is the ramdisk? Where is it in the file structure?
5) Can I add things like i2c and autmount to my own kernel for knoppix? Do I just recompile the kernel before I remaster it?
6) Which WM can ran run in 64mb of ram or less? Would Icewm be the best choice for my default WM if my goal is to keep the ram requirement below 128mb?
7) I'm used to gentoo, where do I put modules I want to load at boot-time in knoppix?
Similar Threads
-
By Wrincle in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 04:12 AM
-
By tarinja in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-02-2004, 04:55 AM
-
By Quip Frok in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
-
By Sebastian Mares in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-28-2004, 12:55 PM
-
By turbines in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99