Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Knoppix on Toshiba Skullcandy freezes after a few seconds

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix on Toshiba Skullcandy freezes after a few seconds

    I'm trying to run Knoppix on a Toshiba Skullcandy laptop (2015 model). It has an AMD A8 processor and Radeon graphics. 'knoppix64 no3d' causes it to boot OK and get to the graphics screen, but after a few seconds everything freezes and only a forced power-off works. Does anyone have Knoppix working on this kind of system ? Am I missing a cheatcode, and if so which one ?
    Things run OK if I boot with 'knopppix64 2', but obviously I don't get a GUI that way and that's no use to me.
    'knoppix64 no3d failsafe' also hangs after a few seconds.

    Thanks for all help anyone can give !

    Chris Ward

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Hi, and welcome to Knoppix!

    Run upto init 2 and install a specific proprietory AMD Radeon linux driver for your graphics processor.

    After installation, restart, and you will hopefully have the GUI.

    And from the next time, please post detailed spec data for us to help.
    Last edited by rajibando; 06-12-2015 at 12:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Hi, and welcome to Knoppix!

    Run upto init 2 and install a specific proprietory AMD Radeon linux driver for your graphics processor.

    After installation, restart, and you will hopefully have the GUI.

    And from the next time, please post detailed spec data for us to help.
    Last time I booted, I waited about 15 minutes and everything 'unfroze'.
    What detailed spec do you want, how do I find it, and how do I set up the appropriate AMD Radeon linux driver ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Not so many questions at one time

    Let's take things step by step.

    Are you familiar with Linux? ... Knoppix?

    Take out those papers you received from your vendor when you bought that laptop.

    There will be detailed info about your Graphics Card's make, every single detail.

    Go to AMD website and search for the appropriate linux driver file.

    Download it. Save it where it is going to last really long.

    Then use 'knoppix64 2", the one your wrote as cheatcode.

    Once reached there, type and go to where you saved the driver, at the terminal.

    Run the file.

    Follow the instructions displayed by the driver while installing.

    After it's over, you could try startx.

    See what happens.

    If the graphics is okay and the system works, restart and make a persistent image.

    You have to install the driver over again if you didn't have a persistent.

    Follow all instructions on Knoppix website meticulously.

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ukl View Post
    Last time I booted, I waited about 15 minutes and everything 'unfroze'.
    What detailed spec do you want, how do I find it, and how do I set up the appropriate AMD Radeon linux driver ?
    Why do you capture someone else's thread?
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-12-2015 at 09:33 PM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18
    Sorry, I seem to have 2 user-ids on knoppix.net. I am tjcw01 and chris-ukl.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Therefore I suggest, to purge your newer registration to avoid further confusions or shall I purge your registration from 2005?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1

    Which Knoppix version CD or DVD are you using? 7.4.2 or 7.5?

    Quote Originally Posted by tjcw01 View Post
    I'm trying to run Knoppix on a Toshiba Skullcandy laptop (2015 model). It has an AMD A8 processor and Radeon graphics. 'knoppix64 no3d' causes it to boot OK and get to the graphics screen, but after a few seconds everything freezes and only a forced power-off works. Does anyone have Knoppix working on this kind of system ? Am I missing a cheatcode, and if so which one ? Things run OK if I boot with 'knopppix64 2', but obviously I don't get a GUI that way and that's no use to me. 'knoppix64 no3d failsafe' also hangs after a few seconds. Thanks for all help anyone can give ! Chris Ward
    Which Knoppix version CD or DVD are you using? Knoppix 7.4.2 or 7.5 or 7.4.1? Get the most recent version that you can obtain and let us know what happens.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18
    Please purge the 'tjcw01' registration

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    38

    New laptop, new Knoppix version 7.4.2 and 7.5.0

    1. hi Chris!
    2. Knoppix 7.4.2 and 7.5.0 work great on a new laptop, 2015, like you have.
    3. Have you checked the case for dust? I've had problems with laptops gettting too hot and start acting contrary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM picture

Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM

$2879.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH Tested picture

SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH Tested

$235.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55