-
Knoppix on Toshiba Skullcandy freezes after a few seconds
I'm trying to run Knoppix on a Toshiba Skullcandy laptop (2015 model). It has an AMD A8 processor and Radeon graphics. 'knoppix64 no3d' causes it to boot OK and get to the graphics screen, but after a few seconds everything freezes and only a forced power-off works. Does anyone have Knoppix working on this kind of system ? Am I missing a cheatcode, and if so which one ?
Things run OK if I boot with 'knopppix64 2', but obviously I don't get a GUI that way and that's no use to me.
'knoppix64 no3d failsafe' also hangs after a few seconds.
Thanks for all help anyone can give !
Chris Ward
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi, and welcome to Knoppix!
Run upto init 2 and install a specific proprietory AMD Radeon linux driver for your graphics processor.
After installation, restart, and you will hopefully have the GUI.
And from the next time, please post detailed spec data for us to help.
Last edited by rajibando; 06-12-2015 at 12:54 PM.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rajibando
Hi, and welcome to Knoppix!
Run upto init 2 and install a specific proprietory AMD Radeon linux driver for your graphics processor.
After installation, restart, and you will hopefully have the GUI.
And from the next time, please post detailed spec data for us to help.
Last time I booted, I waited about 15 minutes and everything 'unfroze'.
What detailed spec do you want, how do I find it, and how do I set up the appropriate AMD Radeon linux driver ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Not so many questions at one time 
Let's take things step by step.
Are you familiar with Linux? ... Knoppix?
Take out those papers you received from your vendor when you bought that laptop.
There will be detailed info about your Graphics Card's make, every single detail.
Go to AMD website and search for the appropriate linux driver file.
Download it. Save it where it is going to last really long.
Then use 'knoppix64 2", the one your wrote as cheatcode.
Once reached there, type and go to where you saved the driver, at the terminal.
Run the file.
Follow the instructions displayed by the driver while installing.
After it's over, you could try startx.
See what happens.
If the graphics is okay and the system works, restart and make a persistent image.
You have to install the driver over again if you didn't have a persistent.
Follow all instructions on Knoppix website meticulously.
Good luck!
-

Originally Posted by
chris-ukl
Last time I booted, I waited about 15 minutes and everything 'unfroze'.
What detailed spec do you want, how do I find it, and how do I set up the appropriate AMD Radeon linux driver ?
Why do you capture someone else's thread?
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-12-2015 at 09:33 PM.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sorry, I seem to have 2 user-ids on knoppix.net. I am tjcw01 and chris-ukl.
-
Therefore I suggest, to purge your newer registration to avoid further confusions or shall I purge your registration from 2005?
-
Which Knoppix version CD or DVD are you using? 7.4.2 or 7.5?

Originally Posted by
tjcw01
I'm trying to run Knoppix on a Toshiba Skullcandy laptop (2015 model). It has an AMD A8 processor and Radeon graphics. 'knoppix64 no3d' causes it to boot OK and get to the graphics screen, but after a few seconds everything freezes and only a forced power-off works. Does anyone have Knoppix working on this kind of system ? Am I missing a cheatcode, and if so which one ? Things run OK if I boot with 'knopppix64 2', but obviously I don't get a GUI that way and that's no use to me. 'knoppix64 no3d failsafe' also hangs after a few seconds. Thanks for all help anyone can give ! Chris Ward
Which Knoppix version CD or DVD are you using? Knoppix 7.4.2 or 7.5 or 7.4.1? Get the most recent version that you can obtain and let us know what happens.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Please purge the 'tjcw01' registration
-
New laptop, new Knoppix version 7.4.2 and 7.5.0
- hi Chris!
- Knoppix 7.4.2 and 7.5.0 work great on a new laptop, 2015, like you have.
- Have you checked the case for dust? I've had problems with laptops gettting too hot and start acting contrary.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50