Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Dual Boot WinXP (NTFS) and Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7

    Dual Boot WinXP (NTFS) and Knoppix

    Hi All,

    I am running Knoppix off the cd and I love it. I really want to get into linux and php and I learning quick. However, I am looking for a truly idiots guide to installing Knoppix for dual boot.

    I am running WinXP Pro (NTFS partition) on my laptop. I am going to get partition magic (as I need it for work as well) so I can partition my 40Gb harddisk into two 20Gb partitions.

    A link to a COMPLETE IDIOTS GUIDE would be appreciated.

    Many Thanks
    A.T.O.B

    ps. Do I use ext2 or ext3 for the partition?

    pps. I have limited knowledge of Linux, however, I am advanced in windows and have great technical support knowledge (so I'm not a newbie to computers; just linux )

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    79
    I would use ext3.

    Here is a link to get you started.

    paul

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    79

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Just remember, if your windows partition is going to be NTFS you can't write to it.
    You may want to make a small FAT32 partition that you can read and write to from Knoppix as well as XP.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1

    xp an knoppix

    hello,

    i have win xp, windows 2003 server an knoppix in the same hard disk..
    the windows parttion is NTFS and ther is no problem, ...

    when you turn on the pc it ask you what system you want to run (linux, hda1, hda2)....

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    Hey ATOB, just done what you are asking about...

    The link posted by QA has all the info you need to install Knoppix alongside WinXP, but I'll tell you what I did.

    First, I created 2 Partitions using Partition Magic under Windows.... reason being I didnt wanna screw up the OS I use most (AT THE TIME!!!! NOT ANY MORE!!!!) and checked it still booted WinXP up.. Knoppix (Debian really once HD installed) requires 2.5Gb at least for itself and a swap-file partition GREATER IN SIZE to your Ram, don't make it less or it'll run slow when paging....

    When all is set up on your hard drive do the knx-hdinstall, sit back and breathe a breath of fresh air at your new super stable OS when it loads up.

    LAST NOTE:::

    I'm a newb too, and one thing I can tell you is that at some point you are gonna screw it up - BIG STYLE!!

    Don't panic when you do coz you WILL find an answer as to how to fix it, unlike under Micro$hit, and it will be painless really.... trust me, I've been there. The only thing is, you need to have some kind of backup to get the info - eg. a second PC with internet connection, or a friend who'll let you come round and get your self-help, but, at the end of the day, it's worth learning how it all fits together under Linux and the rewarding feeling you get is something you won't experience with Windows.

    Good Luck and I hope other post repliers would take a note from my reply as to how to reply to us newbs in a language we understand ;P

    Mike


    PS You guys who know what you doing, let me know if I've got anything wrong in this post plz, I won't take offence unless you're arrogant ...... gluck!!!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    BTW, could somebody explain the difference between ext2 and ext3 for us noobs? (Mine is on ext2 at mo and if ext3 is significantly better I'd also like to know how to convert WITHOUT losing any info)

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7

    Thank you

    Hi All,

    Thanks for the response. I will look over the information you have given me. Provided I have time to get Partition Magic I will do this on Saturday.

    Thanks for you help
    A.T.O.B

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    TBH You probably don't need Partition Magic, but at the time I did it, i was comfortable using it...... maybe some Linux expert could tell us how and what to use instead (under Linux)

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    BTW, could somebody explain the difference between ext2 and ext3 for us noobs? (Mine is on ext2 at mo and if ext3 is significantly better I'd also like to know how to convert WITHOUT losing any info)

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike.
    The difference is a journal which keeps information on the files to save long file system checks among other things. You can easily convert with tune2fs if you want to. I would recommend booting from the knoppix CD open a console window and then sudo tune2fs -j /dev/hd?? to convert the filesystem from ext2 to ext3 replace the ?? with drive letter and partition number. I would also recommend reading a few post in this google search.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive
    By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
  2. Dual boot problem winxp/knoppix (GRUB)
    By hukdonfonix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:39 PM
  3. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
  4. Dual boot with WinXP, one physical disk on Promise RAID
    By pmxcrw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:33 PM
  5. Cannot see FAT32 nor NTFS partitions (WinXp related?)
    By pc_dev in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 08:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



LOT of 10 Finisar FTLF8536P4BCL-N1 25GE SR SFP28 850nm 100m over MMF Transceiver picture

LOT of 10 Finisar FTLF8536P4BCL-N1 25GE SR SFP28 850nm 100m over MMF Transceiver

$249.98



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99