Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Booting Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5

    Booting Knoppix

    Okay. I want to learn Linux because I am sick of Windows. I downloaded Knoppix v3.2 and burned it onto a cd (boot cd) and restarted the system. I get to a prompt where you load knoppix and it begins to load but then says "Unable to locate filesystem. Sorry. Dropping to a (very limited) shell." and the gets me to another prompt where I can't do anything.

    I have a feeling its somthing simple and i'm just an idiot, but this is my first crack at it. I figure once I get inside I should be good. I am going to run it on a P2 266. 128mb, 42x cd-rom, 5gb HD. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt to check the cd and knoppix mem=128M if it passes the test other cheat codes you may want to try.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    2
    What type of cdrom are you booting off of, i have the same problem, but only when booting from an external USB cd rom.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Try knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt to check the cd and knoppix mem=128M if it passes the test other cheat codes you may want to try.
    I tried both and it didn't change anything. Where is the knoppix file system located? is it possible to manualy specify the location of the file system at the boot prompt?

    ??

    fenix

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by LiQiuD
    What type of cdrom are you booting off of, i have the same problem, but only when booting from an external USB cd rom.
    Its some generic burner i got. Could that be the problem? its an internal drive .

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by fenix
    I tried both and it didn't change anything. Where is the knoppix file system located? is it possible to manualy specify the location of the file system at the boot prompt?

    ??

    fenix
    The file system is located on the CD and then gets loaded into RAM it seems like it does not want to recognize your ram you may have to try it on another machine, it could be the cdrom not reading the disk but then you would think that it would not boot at all.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    The file system is located on the CD and then gets loaded into RAM it seems like it does not want to recognize your ram you may have to try it on another machine, it could be the cdrom not reading the disk but then you would think that it would not boot at all.
    I just put another 128Mb of RAM on today to give that a try. Computer runs better, but still wont boot Knoppix, I also tried downloading it (and burning it) again and got the same message. This is bumming me out! at the boot prompt i just type "knoppix" right? there isn't some process that I'm not aware of? I have searched alot of the documentation on this site and haven't found anything that refers to my problem.

    fenix

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by fenix
    I just put another 128Mb of RAM on today to give that a try. Computer runs better, but still wont boot Knoppix, I also tried downloading it (and burning it) again and got the same message. This is bumming me out! at the boot prompt i just type "knoppix" right? there isn't some process that I'm not aware of? I have searched alot of the documentation on this site and haven't found anything that refers to my problem.

    fenix
    More ram is always good and you are trying to boot it correctly. You have not mentioned whether you have tried to boot with either failsafe or expert cheat codes just use them alone at the boot: prompt instead of the knoppix and see what they can do.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    More ram is always good and you are trying to boot it correctly. You have not mentioned whether you have tried to boot with either failsafe or expert cheat codes just use them alone at the boot: prompt instead of the knoppix and see what they can do.
    tried both, on their own, it gives me a slew of information that goes by too fast to read and then gives me the same readout.

    "Cannot find Knoppix file system! Sorry.
    Dropping to a very limited shell.

    and then I have six commands like "mount" and "cat"

    I donloaded it again.. i'll try that.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by fenix
    tried both, on their own, it gives me a slew of information that goes by too fast to read and then gives me the same readout.
    If you try the other disk again when you get the shell type dmesg | less which will display the boot messages one page at a time and you will be able to use the arrow keys to move up and down to view the messages.

Similar Threads

  1. booting knoppix
    By f15e in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 06:11 AM
  2. Booting 2.6 from USB (Knoppix 3.6)
    By gtg in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 01:33 PM
  3. Knoppix not booting
    By Generix in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 04:51 PM
  4. Booting Knoppix
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 04:05 AM
  5. Booting KNOPPIX. PLEASE HELP!!
    By MavetLaAravim in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$89.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper Network QFX5100-48S-AFO 48x SFP/SFP+ 6x 40GbE QSFP+ Switch w/ Dual power picture

Juniper Network QFX5100-48S-AFO 48x SFP/SFP+ 6x 40GbE QSFP+ Switch w/ Dual power

$248.00



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91