I tried to boot and run knoppix from a scsi cdrom. It booted properly but kicked out with an error during discovery when it rediscovered the scsi cdrom drive. The error was something like "could not find knoppix files (or directories)".
I tried to boot and run knoppix from a scsi cdrom. It booted properly but kicked out with an error during discovery when it rediscovered the scsi cdrom drive. The error was something like "could not find knoppix files (or directories)".
--Make sure the SCSI cdrom drive is set to ID 0. I haven't had problems booting Knoppix from mine, but then again I haven't tried it in a while because that drive is on the server...![]()
--Also make sure you're using a high-quality / brand-name 700MB CDR. My rig booted Knoppix just fine a month or so ago - on an old Plextor 4Plex Plus, and they don't know from cdr/W's.
Originally Posted by sireasoning
Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you have to reconfigure the hardware to be able to run knoppix? knoppix should be able to run from a scsi cdrom regardless of whether it is ID0 or not.
--Not really. Knoppix is giving you a LOT of stuff, for no cost. And, it's doing everything DYNAMICALLY - at boot, without touching the hard drive.
--Look up the specs for your SCSI card. I've always used Adaptec, and AFAIK the CDROM drive has to be ID 0 for the system to be able to boot properly from it. (I obviously wasn't able to do this myself, until I reconfigured my SCSI cdrom to be 0.)
Originally Posted by sireasoning

Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$599.99
Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00
Vintage Retro Beige ATX Sleeper PC Desktop Computer Case Good Condition
$199.99
Vintage SHARP PC-1500 Pocket Computer Scientific Calculator POWERS ON, UNTESTED
$85.00
Vintage Jade Computer Products CP/M v2.2 8" Floppy Disk SD Versafloppy II S-100
$59.99
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed
$34.99
Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00