-
Multi-Monitor Clients off 1 Server PC
Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I work at a Papa John's, and they have one server computer. They have a device coming out of the com port and it has ethernet plugs. The ethernet lines hook into the device, and they go to each of the monitors. The monitors are TeleVideo Model 990, and they have an adapter in the back. I believe that it is a com port, and the adapter converts it into a ethernet port. If anyone knows how I can make a setup like this, please let me know. I would really like to do that for my house. Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Multi-Monitor Clients off 1 Server PC

Originally Posted by
raptorsoft2000
Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I work at a Papa John's, and they have one server computer. They have a device coming out of the com port and it has ethernet plugs. The ethernet lines hook into the device, and they go to each of the monitors. The monitors are TeleVideo Model 990, and they have an adapter in the back. I believe that it is a com port, and the adapter converts it into a ethernet port. If anyone knows how I can make a setup like this, please let me know. I would really like to do that for my house. Thanks

This is most likely a serial port multiplexer as the Televideo terminals are strictly serial devices.
This is not a serial to ethernet converter. Its common to wire serial to use CAT5e and RJ-45 plugs to send the serial signal to terminals.
I would use ethernet at home, and then look into the Terminal server features of Knoppix and/or the Linux Terminal Server project. You could also look into Lorma Linux, a Red Hat based distro from the Phillipines, that has setups for doing similar things.
You can also look into SSH logins for text based needs, or look into X11 forwarding to have a KDE desktop on a remote PC.
Similar Threads
-
By swan2925 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
-
By digitalunix in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 10:16 AM
-
By egork in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 10:54 PM
-
By felipe_lopes in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 06:01 PM
-
By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99