Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Forgot passphrase of persistent knoppix-data.aes but know possible passwords!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2

    Exclamation Forgot passphrase of persistent knoppix-data.aes but know possible passwords!

    Hello good people



    I used to use a usb bootable Knoppix 7.0 with an encrypted knoppix-data.aes for online banking, bitcoin wallet and private docs and passwords, I tried logging in again after over a year but its not the passphrase I thought it was.


    I urgently need to verify the password as there is a time limit to do with the issue another issue at hand (I can explain whats going on in a subsequent reply, but I wont lengthen my first post here).

    The passphrase is a combination of shorter passwords I have used in the past and I know 100% the first password. I have successfully generated a dictionary text file with 600 combinations of the passphrase but I don't know how to proceed in trying them out automated, hashcat?


    If I was to use hashcat I would need the password hash? I've searched but I don't have any idea how to obtain the hash from knoppix-data.aes


    I feel pretty silly I thought I knew the password and now time is ticking, I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2
    update: I've been speaking to a couple of helpful people on irc and it was suggested I type I
    while read pass; do echo "$pass" | losetup -p 0 -e aes -k 256 /dev/loop2 knoppix-data.aes && echo $pass worked && break; done < /your/password/file.txt
    I did this and got the terminal to return workedr78977897 78977897 is not the correct password though

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44
    here is a script that I use to check and repair the file system in a knoppix-data.aes :

    losetup /dev/loop7 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes
    cryptsetup --cipher aes --key-size 256 --hash ripemd160 create cryp2knop /dev/loop7
    fsck.ext4 -y -v /dev/mapper/cryp2knop
    sync
    cryptsetup remove cryp2knop
    losetup -d /dev/loop7

    maybe you can use the cryptsetup in a loop similar to yours to use the password file.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99