-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Some people will say yes, some will say no....[snip]
Yes, I understand what you say and it's true. About updating Knoppix: I have tried many linux distros in pendrive and knoppix is the fastest of all. But knoppix includes many programs I don't need and using it daily could be a great security problem. Every day some new vulnerabilities are found, and if someone enters in my pc it's possible to mount my hard drive with windos, and you know what could happen. And of course if I am posting or browsing personal or private information then it's a great risk. I only have 1 GB ram in my pc and also where I work. So, I need some live usb working fast and being easy to use. Knoppix is perfect except those points. I know knoppix is not made to use it like that, and I even installed Debian in my pendrive but it's very slow with lxde. Knoppix is the best and fastest 
------
Full quote deleted.
wps
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 08-15-2015 at 09:51 PM.
-
But knoppix includes many programs I don't need and using it daily could be a great security problem.
What? Either you need a program and use it or you don't need and don't start it. Why could a program you never start be a security problem?
Another thing are services, but by default no service within Knoppix is going outside as server to WAN.
-

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
What? Either you need a program and use it or you don't need and don't start it. Why could a program you never start be a security problem? Another thing are services, but by default no service within Knoppix is going outside as server to WAN.
Sorry, I meant about services, and I didnīt know that all of them were working inside by default. I was always removing cups as open port because I never print with knoppix. Do you know some website where knoppix enthusiasts remaster it and upload it?. It would be great. I could use knoppix cd (I love this knoppix with few programs and size) but it has a bug with openvpn importing the configurations (it never works) and itīs very hard to me to configure all the servers by hand. I need to use openvpn in some places wth knoppix. Thank you again.
-
@harry: In general, I'd tend to agree. Even with a brand new release, getting Knoppix installed on a hard drive and tweaked to my liking is a lot more time consuming than I remember it taking with Debian and the infrequent public releases only make the task that more difficult as times goes on. The only reason I'm using a knoppix disc as my install media instead of the latest beta of Debian testing is that no variant of vanilla Debian, at least to my knowledge, offers the kind of out-of-the-box blind accessibility offered by Knoppix in Adriane mode and I don't access to anyone who can reliable help in setting up Debian for blind use. If Adriane ever gets ported upstream and an Adriane version of Debian CD1 is made available, I'd ditch Knoppix and never look back. But yeah, I'd totally recommend giving Vanilla Debian a try for Hard drive installs unless you know for a fact you need something that is knoppix specific.
-
updating browsers and why knoppix
This is a quote from Klaus: "sudo apt install -t unstable chromium sudo apt install -t unstable firefox[-esr] If you are looking for security-related updates, you can also do update-security" while you are in the same release (now 8.6.x). I updated my browser twice already and the first time Chromium kept crashing after 5 minutes or so, which was solved with the second update. Now, why knoppix? The same reason Klaus uses it: keep desktop, network credentials, browser cookies, and encrypted information wherever you can go with a USB memory. I have Debian installed in my computer. And, even though this question was made ages ago, it still shows in the search, and needed some response, imo.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00