Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Installing Stuff with toram?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2

    Installing Stuff with toram?

    I'm not sure if this can already be done or if it is impossible to do (being a newbie who only wants a temporary OS while his hard drive is being nice and crashed), but I wanted to install some programs while running KNOPPIX with the cd only and with the toram option. Now, I figured that since I was running it off the RAM I should be able to alter the /KNOPPIX directory and be able to install libraries or software or something of the sort.

    I did try the APT-GET wrapper thing with KNOPPIX -> Utilities -> Install Software (while running from CD) and didn't get much joy from that... apt-get from the shell still complained about not being able to write to a file.

    I just figured it might be nice for the toram option to copy the CD to RAM as a hard drive device rather than a cd-rom device, so writing can be an option.

    Also, to be even more ambitious, I'd like to suggest that toram can be modified so that one has an option of things to load into memory (might be too complicated given the structure of the boot cd)... I don't really need things like the games and stuff in memory. I have 1 GB of memory and I'm running XMMS, OpenOffice, gaim, konqueror, and Mozilla (on a HP Compaq nc6000, if you're interested) at the moment (pretty much going to be my typical usage) and the system runs as smooth as silk.... But only with 11 MB of memory to spare... Kind of makes me nervous.

    Probably WAY too complicated, but a persistent home directory and start-up scripts with my school's SAMBA server would be cool too (as I said, being a naive newbie, I have no idea what kind of dependencies that has). Then, I really wouldn't need a hard drive. [I know I have that stupid USB drive pen lying around somewhere, bah]

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    Read this post:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ighlight=klick

    This should help you to get some software to install.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks, though I was thinking of some more general purpose solution than relying on someone to package it so it's "klikable". I'm probably able to already install stuff by getting the sources and configuring the bin directory to somewhere on the ramdisk, but if you have only binaries, or need to compile additional libraries, it's probably possible, but it's just not as easy and may require custom hacking for each program.

    I don't see why the cd-rom is not copied into RAM as a rewriteable medium rather than the cdrom device it is now? Oh, perhaps it has something to do with the compression.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    I think that toram option works like the cd device because the normal install of knoppix would be 3 gb which is much more than the ram has.

Similar Threads

  1. unmount cdrom after installing with toram
    By smorty in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 04:32 AM
  2. DVD....TORAM...(Success!)
    By lilsirecho in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:45 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 12:52 AM
  4. toRAM bug?
    By Bernd Blaauw in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 02:50 AM
  5. Trouble installing stuff (with apt-get and from source)
    By jerome187 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 04:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99