Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Help...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Rubicant
    Guest

    Help...

    I have a general problem with a HD install on my system. Every time I try to do a lilo install to HDA , it fails...and I cannot generate a boot floppy...it consistently fails on me. the HD install goes well...its just I CANT BOOT THE THING! All files and folders show up...everything goes well....it just won't boot...

    System layout is as follows:
    HDA is a WD 40GB Drive with a solid NTFS 5 partition on it using all but 8MB at the end of the drive.
    HDD is my Linux drive...its on the secondary slave slaved to the CDROM.
    Knoppix HD is on this one. This drive is unique in that its mounted in a removable cage...that's it.. its an IDE hard drive, mounted in a removable rack for portability. Now..under Red Hat 7.2, this setup worked fine..buit I wanted a more advanced and less dumbed down version of Linux..so I heard about Knoppix...got it..and am trying it...the Live CD works great... the HD Install is not though. I am also using Knoppix 3.1, the second to latest release.

    HELP! For the sake of my hairline..PLEASE! I've puilled out too much of my hair!

  2. #2
    SUOrangeman
    Guest

    And the hardware gods of old said ...

    For some reason, some old fogies said "Thou BIOS shalt not boot above the 1023rd cylinder of a hard drive."

    Apparently the BIOS geniuses figured that n one would ever need to boot a partition above that mark. On many hard drives, the 1023rd cylinder lies roughly 8GB into the drive. So, *bootable* partitions typically need to lie within the first 8GB. Why this archaic implementation still exists is beyond me.

    Anyway, I'd be willing to bet this limit is the source of your frustrations. If that 8MB was the first partition of your drive, it would probably work.

    -SUO, battling my own LILO gremlins at the moment

  3. #3
    Rubicant
    Guest

    Interesting

    Thanks for the help...I may need to use Windisk to move my 8MB free space to the beginning of ym disk...

    I wonder if anyone has written the 10 commandments of Lilo yet....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R) picture

Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R)

$60.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00