Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Is Knoppix V7.6 almost ready?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    The laptop is an Acer Aspire of I forget the model number whose pre-installed Win8 was nuked to make room for a hard-drive install of Knoppix 7.4.2. It lacks a built-in optical drive, but I was able to talk a less technically inclined person through configuring it so I could boot from an external optical drive. The desktop is a hand-me-down Junker so old it has no Sata ports and lacks a monitor a sighted person could use to assist with altering bios settings, but already favored the optical drive when it came into my possession. It is new enough that it has a multi-card reader built-in instead of a 3.5" floppy drive though the card reader has never worked properly. Not sure what version the borked Windows install I nuked to put Knoppix on it was. Though, what I really need is a method for either installing a screen reader into bios or configuring the bios from within the Linux terminal because trying to talk someone who doesn't know what phrases like "boot order", "legacy boot", and "secure boot" mean through putting a optical drive above the harddrive is hard enough and there are some screwy things with this laptop that make me wish I could go through all the bios options(for example, it won't fully power-off when I issue the halt command which also prevents the reboot command from working properly, and the default configuration lacks a means of turning the monitor off that doesn't turn it back on with the next key press). Sorry for the irrelevant ranting, I just miss the days when Bios defaults didn't seem hostile to Linux users.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Mewtamer View Post
    The laptop is an Acer Aspire of I forget the model number whose pre-installed Win8 was nuked to make room for a hard-drive install of Knoppix 7.4.2. It lacks a built-in optical drive, but I was able to talk a less technically inclined person through configuring it so I could boot from an external optical drive.
    Hello, Jeffery. I presume the external optical drive is connected to a usb port.
    Also, I note ACER Aspires often have as many as three usb ports.
    From this I wonder if you might consider using a LiveUSB Knoppix rather than a hard-drive install.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5

    I poked around to try and help uncover your Model Number for the ...

    I poked around to try and help uncover your Model Number for the awesome folk here to know what you are working with. The support area at http://global-download.acer.com/Supp...?LC=en&BC=Acer shows an example white tag on the bottom of the computer. It has a bar code on that tag that might be read with a Q-cat or equivalent. Thought I would mention it, in case you have a Q-cat or some kind of Scanner you could use to get the Serial Nr. and SSID on here and that ought to lead to the other pertinent data about your computer? IF that S/N and SSID are NOT PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE information? Someone else may want to advise on that part. Just a thought from the sidelines here.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    HowTo get the 64 bits compile & Run Time environment for Knoppix 7.6.0 ?

    Hello Klaus,
    I hope you and your family are doing well. Thank you very much for this new version of Knoppix.
    Some time ago you provided a HowTo get the 64 bits compile & run time environment for Knoppix 7.0.2
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/298...l=1#post126922
    These steps are no longer working with Knoppix 7.6.0. Could you please suggest something ?
    Could you please consider adding the minimal 64 bits run time libraries to your next release ?
    So 64 bits binaries (with statically linked libraries or minimal linked libraries) could also be executed
    right out of your great dvd. A script to install the 64 bits compile environment would be ideal.
    Thank you very much for your time, hard work and persistence.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    ifconfig output format change breaks scripts ( knoppix-terminalserver )

    Hi Klaus,
    I just woul like to bring to your attention that the output format of the "ifconfig" program have now changed
    which now breaks multiple scripts, knoppix-terminalserver being one of them. Knoppix 7.5.0 was still ok.
    cf: https : / / bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=784314
    I also have trouble getting the vmware tools to autostart and have the cut & paste working between
    the host and the guest vm. It is probablly not related to the above problem. Any idea ?
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    (new) ifconfig as in Knoppix 7.6.0
    eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 metric 1
    inet 172.17.17.17 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 172.17.17.255
    inet6 fe80::5054:ff:fe3f:c083 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
    ether 52:54:00:3f:c0:83 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
    RX packets 339806 bytes 317184647 (302.4 MiB)
    RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
    TX packets 158189 bytes 14694182 (14.0 MiB)
    TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

    (old) ifconfig as in Knoppix 7.5.0
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 52:54:00:A3:98:1B
    inet addr:172.17.17.15 Bcast:172.17.17.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::5054:ff:fea3:981b/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:678733 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:176576 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:362735982 (345.9 MiB) TX bytes:15404448 (14.6 MiB)

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    I just woul like to bring to your attention that the output format of the "ifconfig" program have now changed
    which now breaks multiple scripts, knoppix-terminalserver being one of them. Knoppix 7.5.0 was still ok.
    cf: https : / / bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=784314
    1--I think you may have better luck getting Klaus K on Debian-Knoppix mailing list.
    2--Regarding your query, I also had some of my pet tweaks stop working recently.
    It seems that in my case iwlist no longer works as before. However, I found the nmcli does a lot more.
    You may see my example at http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/317...ighlight=nmcli

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80