-
Senior Member
registered user
These are a few thoughts on using Knoppix 7.6 for a few hours.
My usual approach is to download a Knoppix LiveDVD iso to a Windows 7 computer
and then use an earlier Knoppix LiveUSB to burn an actual LiveDVD from the iso.
I use the LiveDVD only once to make a new LiveUSB as I did this time.
I have good luck with 16 Gb SanDisk Ultra Fit Cruzers which are USB-3 capable.
My computers are only USB-2 capable, but the Cruzers use more of the USB-2
capability than do most SDHC cards. I allotted 5 Gb for reiserfs persistence,
so there's a lot of unused space on my Knoppix 7.6 LiveUSBs.
I have a number of pet adjustments I always like to make to my Knoppix LiveUSBs,
and have saved recipes that allow me to move in comfortably in a few hours.
A tarred and zipped copy of these adjustments takes up only about 20 Mb. These
20 Mb comes in handy to rapidly recover from a ruined read/write persistence file,
which happens now and then.
It's been so long since I made a new Knoppix LiveUSB, I'd forgotten how to
rearrange apps on the lxpanel. Somehow I loused that up, but recovered by just
starting over. I checked my LiveUSB on both a Win7 computer with legacy boot
and a Win8 computer with both legacy boot and uefi. The only surprise I ran
across was that for my Win8 using uefi boot, it was not possible to get a
meaningful testdvd. This really doesn't matter in this instance since I could
pull off a satisfactory testdvd with either Win7 or Win8 in legacy mode.
Both machines are dual 64-bit cpu Dell Inspiron laptops which boot to browser
on-line in 30 seconds or less, and will shut-down in 8 seconds or less using
the Knoppix 7.6 LiveUSB described earlier.
The only surprises I have to report so far are:
1. The Knoppix 7.6 OS is contained in two cloops KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX1 which
together take up only 4.1 Gb of vfat storage. KNOPPIX is the 7.6 OS proper;
KNOPPIX1 is a single application which mounts only on the /usr wing of the OS.
This application is called Blender.
2. There is no hassle with Touchpad gestures screwing up text processing as
has been the case for years with previous Linuxes of all stripes. You don't
need to disable the Touchpad in Knoppix 7.6.
Here's a filesystem outline of my Knoppix 7.6 LiveUSB:
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ df
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs rootfs 2.0G 48K 2.0G 1% /
/dev/sdb1 vfat 9.2G 4.1G 5.1G 45% /mnt-system
tmpfs tmpfs 3.1G 0 3.1G 0% /ramdisk
/dev/cloop iso9660 9.7G 9.7G 0 100% /KNOPPIX
/dev/cloop1 iso9660 352M 352M 0 100% /KNOPPIX1
/dev/sdb2 reiserfs 5.4G 387M 5.0G 8% /media/sdb2
unionfs aufs 5.4G 387M 5.0G 8% /usr
tmpfs tmpfs 20M 3.1M 17M 16% /run
tmpfs tmpfs 10M 4.0K 10M 1% /UNIONFS/var/lock
tmpfs tmpfs 100M 56K 100M 1% /UNIONFS/var/log
tmpfs tmpfs 2.0G 8.0K 2.0G 1% /tmp
udev devtmpfs 20M 0 20M 0% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs tmpfs 392M 8.0K 392M 1% /run/user/1000
tmpfs tmpfs 392M 0 392M 0% /run/user/0
/dev/sdc1 vfat 1.9G 551M 1.3G 30% /media/sdc1
/dev/sdc1 is just a small SDHC with some notes on it.
Last edited by utu; 11-24-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

apple oem cube 5w charger
$6.99

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015
$26.98

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2
$12.99

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good
$21.05

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D
$339.99

NEW Original OEM 60W Charger for 2012 2013 2014 2015 APPLE 13" MacBook Pro A1435
$25.95