If you want to modify the start of Knoppix within a HD installation you have to use the "edit" option of grub legacy.
Within Knoppix you can use LXDE, KDE4 or Gnome3; XFCE isn't installed.
I have installed the system on the HD of an Acer Aspire Notebook. It appears to be running correctly.
I would prefer to use an alternate desktop (XFCE not LXDE)
When the boot prompt is displayed there is no time to add a cheat code.
Is there some place that I can permanently modify the desktop?
If you want to modify the start of Knoppix within a HD installation you have to use the "edit" option of grub legacy.
Within Knoppix you can use LXDE, KDE4 or Gnome3; XFCE isn't installed.
In the case of booting up KNOPPIX via Syslinux bootloader (or its derivatives), the TIMEOUT period can be bumped up by editing the syslinux.cfg file. The default path of the configuration file is /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg .
Thanks for the responses:
"~$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.1st" gives me an error and then opens a blank page
Using "grub>" I am unable to find a way of editing menu.1st which looks as follows:
How do I get in to edit this menu.1st?
default 0
timeout 30
color cyan/blue white/blue
title KMOPPIX
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 rootwait lang= ..... etc ... all on a single line.
I am assuming that it is the 'default' that needs to be changed ... or is it the 'rootwait'?
Thanks
The name of the file is "menu.lst" (little 'L'), not menu.1st.

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99
Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99
OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99
Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good
$21.05
Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24
OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015
$26.98
OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2
$12.99
Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718
$22.00
Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air
$419.59
$6.99