Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Accessing shared Windows Printer via CUPS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9

    Accessing shared Windows Printer via CUPS

    I have come back to Knoppix after some time. I like 7.6.0, but I can't connect to my wired network printer. The server is Windows 10. I know that I need to give the server a username and password. I know what these are, but I don't know where to make them visible. Other distros provide a GUI interface for that; please help.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    If Windows offers the print service, you have to configure it within Windows.

    Knoppix is the client. You can look for printers within your LAN using Menu → Preferences → Print Settings and there → Network Printer → Find Network Printer

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for the quick reply. Windows is set up to share the printer, and it's easily found by my Linux (Knoppix) computer. My problem is that I don't know how to supply the ID and password to authorize the printing. Somewhere, I suspect, is a configuration file into which the password can be inserted.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi!

    I would try Menu -> Preferences -> Print Settings and then click on the button 'Add' to add a new printer. In the dialog window I would select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' and enter the 'SMB Printer'. There is also an option to provide the authentication details.

    I hope that helps.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    Hi!

    I would try Menu -> Preferences -> Print Settings and then click on the button 'Add' to add a new printer. In the dialog window I would select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' and enter the 'SMB Printer'. There is also an option to provide the authentication details.

    I hope that helps.
    Thanks klaus2008. That was easy. I guess I tried to configure directly from CUPS and didn't have an opportunity to supply the ID and password.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00