Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Accessing shared Windows Printer via CUPS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9

    Accessing shared Windows Printer via CUPS

    I have come back to Knoppix after some time. I like 7.6.0, but I can't connect to my wired network printer. The server is Windows 10. I know that I need to give the server a username and password. I know what these are, but I don't know where to make them visible. Other distros provide a GUI interface for that; please help.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    If Windows offers the print service, you have to configure it within Windows.

    Knoppix is the client. You can look for printers within your LAN using Menu → Preferences → Print Settings and there → Network Printer → Find Network Printer

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for the quick reply. Windows is set up to share the printer, and it's easily found by my Linux (Knoppix) computer. My problem is that I don't know how to supply the ID and password to authorize the printing. Somewhere, I suspect, is a configuration file into which the password can be inserted.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi!

    I would try Menu -> Preferences -> Print Settings and then click on the button 'Add' to add a new printer. In the dialog window I would select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' and enter the 'SMB Printer'. There is also an option to provide the authentication details.

    I hope that helps.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    Hi!

    I would try Menu -> Preferences -> Print Settings and then click on the button 'Add' to add a new printer. In the dialog window I would select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' and enter the 'SMB Printer'. There is also an option to provide the authentication details.

    I hope that helps.
    Thanks klaus2008. That was easy. I guess I tried to configure directly from CUPS and didn't have an opportunity to supply the ID and password.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



IBM 02AN553  01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN  Internal Server Systems Adapter picture

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter

$199.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC  picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC

$1299.00