Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Does Not Save Settings

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9

    Does Not Save Settings

    When I boot Knoppix (7.6.0) I have to reset my time zone and wallpaper each time. Is there a remedy for this minor annoyance?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hello, Dave.
    What configuration of 7.6 are you using?
    If it's a LiveDVD or a poor-man's install, you need persistence to keep your changes.
    If you did an install to flash disk, that should be working.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    I made a HD install from the live DVD. It's a reiser partition, 19G, of which I seem to be using 13G at the moment. I tried unsuccessfully to install to a flash disk, maybe unsuccessful because the disk was a cheap generic kind and somehow didn't boot.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    See at http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix760-en.html
    → Update: Computers without DVD drive
    how to do a Flash install without burning the DVD. But first of all check your download
    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes → Check the ISO

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    Thanks again. I see what my problem was with the flash (I had a fat32 format on the drive). I still don't understand why the boot is incomplete, however. I'll check the iso for accuracy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by davec51 View Post
    (I had a fat32 format on the drive). I still don't understand why the boot is incomplete, however. I'll check the iso for accuracy.
    Hello again, Dave.

    The Knoppix 7.6 LiveDVD iso itself is slightly too big for fat32.
    The iso itself must be saved on a filesystem like ntfs or linux to begin with, not fat32.

    The LiveUSB itself should be fat32 formatted initially.
    A safe way to proceed is to actually to make a LiveDVD and then 'install to flash disk'
    from the LiveDVD to make a LiveUSB with persistence.

    HTH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99