gedit does not load and when I run it from the terminal, I get the following:
(gedit:27415): Gtk-WARNING **: GTK+ module libgail.so cannot be loaded.
GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported.
** (gedit:27415): WARNING **: Could not load Gedit repository: Typelib file for namespace 'GtkSource', version '3.0' not found
(gedit:27415): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.nautilus.preferences' does not contain a key named 'enable-delete'
Trace/breakpoint trap
Kindly advise... thanks
Thanks for your reply.
Yes I am aware of the other applications however I always used gedit, that's why I asked...
Will post a fix if I find one...
There is a libgail upgrade available, but that doesn't solve the problem.
In knoppix 7.4.2, which comes with gedit 3.12-1+b1, upgrading to 3.14.0-3 with Synaptic works well. What gives in knoppix 7.6.0?
For what it's worth:
I googled gedit and got the impression that it has a history of compilation
difficulties often related to getting gnome heading information correct or complete.
gedit takes up about 4.4 Mb, geany takes up about 11 Mb; neither number
is a significant determiner in a 10 Gb system.
geany has its admirers; among these are:
Personally, I use leafpad for notes to myself, or composing off-line forum posts,
and geany when I am trying to read some 'serious' code.
Referring to the warnings received by the original poster:
1
I do not have the first warning.
2
Solved the second warning by installingv gir1.2-gtksource3-3.0 with Synaptic
3
Solbved the third warning (an error) by removing nautilus and nautilus-data with Synaptic.
Now gedit opens in knoppix 7.6.0.
Last edited by philo; 12-03-2015 at 12:22 PM.
gedit 3.18 and nautilus 3.18 may agree. I did not test that.
@philo Thanks for sharing the fix! Cannot wait to try out the new release of KNOPPIX....
Hello, Philo.
Two comments or observations:
1. Removing Nautilus may create more problems than it solves,
since it may be used by programs other than gedit.
2. Nautilus has two warnings of its own, one is the same as
for gedit; the other warning is different. Nautilus does not
fail on error itself, as does gedit.

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00
RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00
RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP
$349.99