Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing KNOPPIX 7.6.0 DVD iso image on a bootable usb-stick.

  1. #1

    Installing KNOPPIX 7.6.0 DVD iso image on a bootable usb-stick.

    Hi, I have a laptop running kubuntu without any windows installed. I have downloaded the KNOPPIX ISO image The laptop I am using has no DVD unit. I need to know how to make a bootable USB-stick. Preferable it should work on both 32-bit (Pentium-4) and 64-bit (AMD or Intel CPU). I have a couple of computers but no working windows version. They was dying years ago and reinstall them with GNU/Linux Live USB. Previous Live iso images I just did "dd if= of=/dev/sdb bs=4M" and was able to restart the computer booting the live usb stick. I have tried above method and unetbootin without any luck. How do I continue?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Hello Mikael!

    Have a look at http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix760-en.html
    →Update: Computers without DVD drive

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi!

    I think the question is how to create a bootable USB stick with Knoppix 7.6.0 on it without having to boot Knoppix itself.

    I suggest you try the following.
    If you already have got a bootable USB stick with syslinux 6.0.3 you could mount the Knoppix ISO and copy the KNOPPIX directory with subdirectories to the root directory of the USB stick. Then copy the boot directory with subdirectories to the USB stick, too. Rename the directory boot/isolinux to boot/syslinux and the configuration file boot/syslinux/isolinux.cfg to boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

    Try to boot from your USB stick. If it does not boot try to configure syslinux so that it uses boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

  4. #4

    Found a solution using isohybrid and cat

    http://www.wgdd.de/2013/08/create-kn...tick-from.html I have found a solution and it worked from lubuntu. $ isohybrid -o 1 -h 64 -s 32 -e 1 KNOPPIX_V7.6.0DVD-2015-11-21-EN.iso and $ cat KNOPPIX_V7.6.0DVD-2015-11-21-EN.iso > /dev/sdb I now running KNOPPIX 7.6.0 and now install it to the harddisk.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    And? Do you also have → persistent memory and → UNIONFS?

    In my last posting I forgot to mention, how to use Knoppix without DVD-drive.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 12-10-2015 at 05:46 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    You can read more about isohybrid in the Syslinux Wiki.

    @ [email protected]: Thank you for telling us your solution. I did not know the program isohybrid before.

  7. #7

    Thanks for all info.

    I did not know about kvm-qemu, I have to change bios setting to get it working, nice and thanks you all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive with Power Supply, MPN C061636 (Vintage) picture

Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive with Power Supply, MPN C061636 (Vintage)

$80.00



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00