-
Hi, folks:
If the process of interest is analogous to that of poor man's installation rather than that of apt-get upgrade, I haven't tried out using the latest release myself but imagine the files closely related to each version of KNOPPIX and thus needing to be replaced are KNOPPIX (the compressed file rather than the folder), minirt.gz, linux (renamed vmlinuz-$(uname -r)) and linux64 (renamed vmlinuz-$(uname -r)-64). This kind of operation probably can be done safely only when the KNOPPIX (taken as a whole) which is meant be overwritten is offline. Besides, the overlay file/partition used for KNOPPIX 7.4.X may need to be rebuilt afterwards.
Last edited by superman; 12-20-2015 at 06:06 PM.
-

Originally Posted by
superman
Hi, folks: If the process of interest is analogous to that of poor man's installation rather than that of apt-get upgrade, I haven't tried out using the latest release myself but imagine the files closely related to each version of KNOPPIX and thus needing to be replaced are KNOPPIX (the compressed file rather than the folder), minirt.gz, linux (renamed vmlinuz-$(uname -r)) and linux64 (renamed vmlinuz-$(uname -r)-64). This kind of operation probably can be done safely only when the KNOPPIX (taken as a whole) which is meant be overwritten is offline. Besides, the overlay file/partition used for KNOPPIX 7.4.X may need to be rebuilt afterwards.
Hi, Great. Superman reads Nabokov. My original statement said I have an error updating a 32gb usb stick. 1 There is nothing wrong with the stick. (it has 2.6gb free) 2 When I built it I selcted 'P' and used 'all space left' for overlay. 3 The 32GB stick is used as the 'driver' for 2TB library. Works great. This error of 'not enough room' is referring to the base partition. The only reason to update is to play with 3D and see if 7.6 CAN update. We read that 7.6 can update without trashing the hard fought overlay. Now I thought maybe someone would say keep back space so 7.6 can work. Fine; I'd build another and keep space of (overlay) a bit smaller. or, maybe; 'Delete something specific from the base partition, for 7.6 ----- But no. I receive convoluted literature effete and out of the idiom Thank you for this time. Please try again. 7.6 either can or can not. ttopp
-

Originally Posted by
ttopp
... 2 When I built it I selcted 'P' and used 'all space left' for overlay. ... We read that 7.6 can update without trashing the hard fought overlay. ... 7.6 either can or can not.
For the emerging information in relation to overlay partition, my off-the-shelf thought is: "Hmm... Well... I haven't tried out using the latest release by myself but imagine the answer to your questions is probably 'Yes and No'. Please see the flash-knoppix and init files for details on how the overlay partition is created and mounted."
Besides, don't bother with the thank-you cliché whether the info given above is of any help.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.60

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1785.15

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$17.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Apple Macbook Pro 16" i9-9980hk 32GB 1TB - Good
$509.99

128TB External SSD USB 3.2 Type-C Backup Drive Hard Drive PC Mac Android Videos
$118.90