PS-
The warning(s) that may now be given by gedit, when opening it, can safely be ignored, I think.
Otherwise, just do not re-install nautilus. Many (most?) people do not need it anyway.
Hello utu,
To please you and bring back nautilus and still have gedit 3.14 working, I now did this:
1. With Synaptic:
Removed libnautilusextension1a 3.18 (testing)
Installed libnautilusextension1a 3.14 (stable)
2. With Synaptic:
Installed nautilus-data 3.14
3.
Downloaded the Debian package:
nautilus_3.14.1-2_i386.deb
4. With gdebi:
Installed the above-mentioned .deb package.
PS-
The warning(s) that may now be given by gedit, when opening it, can safely be ignored, I think.
Otherwise, just do not re-install nautilus. Many (most?) people do not need it anyway.
I do not think I will risk removing nautilus...
Am using leafpad for the time being...
@philo
Your suggestions to force Nautilus to 3.14 to agree with data and libs
sounds very reasonable, but I can't seem to force this with Synaptic.
Synaptic complains about broken packages, yet doesn't help fix them.
Synaptic allows forcing libs and data, not claiming about broken pkgs,
but balks at removing & re-installing nautilus.
I tried apt-get install , but it can't find nautilus_3.14.1-2_i386.deb
The link is here:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/nautilus
@philo
With your suggestions, I have achieved about a 99% satisfactory solution
which includes the following:
1. gedit loads and functions apparently without obvious difficulty using
MainMenu>Accessories>gedit;
2. nautilus doesn't appear as a main menu selection, but if accessed via
a command-line, it loads and functions reasonably. However there are non-
fatal warnings that appear before the gui kicks in;
3. If one accesses gedit via a command-line, it is apparent that it too
produces similar but different non-fatal warnings before a gui appears;
and finally,
4. Synaptic seems to display consistent gedit 3.14 and nautilus 3.14 pkgs
with no mention of broken packages or 3.18 material for either of these.
I am placated by this solution, but Klaus K may not be satisfied with the
minor imperfections that would require some additional cosmetic repairs.
Fies is a Portuguese word. My 7.6 menu has a selection Files, just above that for gedit.
Selecting Files from the menu brings up Nautilus just as you suggest.
Using the gui, the non-fatal warnings are obscured by the gui rapidly appearing.
In which case, my satisfaction with your fix is 99 and 44/100 %. Same as Ivory soap IIRC.
Last edited by utu; 12-05-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Knoppix menu for Files calls up Nautilus; the About entry for the gui which appears refers to the gui as Files.
Some history which applies: https://en.opensuse.org/GNOME_Files#History

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00
Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99
Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$249.00
Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested
$299.00
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$99.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$155.00
Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer
$95.00
Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces
$40.99